Interesting article

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rafke77
Martin Colony History: 2019 10 pair, 24 fledged.

Interesting article

Postby Rafke77 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:02 am

Just an interesting article I figured I'd share. I had no idea we lost that many Martins juveniles during migration, only about 20% survive.
-Rob
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/o ... -1.5209970
2019 10 pair, 47 eggs, 24 fledged.

gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Re: Interesting article

Postby gotham » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you for the referral to this article.

Our summer place is in southern Ontario, on the north-east shore of Lake Ontario. We have noticed a significant decline in the number of Purple Martins coming to this area over the past few years. Since about 1967 the relatively small unmanaged martin house my wife's family had put up annually had been populated by martins and this was taken for granted. However, last year the house was taken over by starlings and this year we have started over with a new Lonestar Alamo 14 compartment martin house. As per our "Chicadee Interference" posting on this forum, we have had an unsuccessful first season with the new house. However, we did join the PMCA last year and have been inspired by the patience and persistence demonstrated in many of the postings on this forum and by the great effort made by many of the Purple Martin landlords to support their colonies.

We no longer take the Purple Martins for granted and, if we are privileged to have a few of these birds decide to settle in our house next year, we will do our utmost to help them make it, inspired by what we have seen on, and learned from, this forum. This article you have brought to our attention, confirming the marked decline in the Purple Martin population in our province, serves as a further motivation for us to do our best to help these guys.

Gotham

Rafke77
Martin Colony History: 2019 10 pair, 24 fledged.

Re: Interesting article

Postby Rafke77 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Glad you were inspired! We started a colony this year, it is is our first time and we've been lucky to have been blessed with 10 pair. Most have fledged but have been coming back to spend the day flying around our setup and staying the night. We had one late pair of eggs laid so we're assuming they're waiting for them to fledge before they head south. We, well mostly me, thought it would be tough taking care of them, but my girlfriend was very motivated and helped make it easy. We did nest checks every 4 days, replaced several nests due to blowfly infestation and I had to pull several blowfly's off babies. It was a heck of a learning process but I'm so glad we started this!

-Rob
2019 10 pair, 47 eggs, 24 fledged.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”