It's official, Martins & eggs in Fombell

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

My neighbor (and brother-in law & sister) was fortunate to get the first nesting pair in his T-14. We lowered the house and there were 4 eggs so far. She is not incubating yet.

He also had 1 pair in both 1999 & 2000.

This would be the only pair of nesting Martins in Beaver County PA that I would know of.

There is still other activity. Another male that has been hanging out brought a female to my site this morning for quite a long time. Her 2nd morning in the area. She sat and looked around and sang a little, but did not enter his cavity with him. They are very close to becoming a bonded pair.

Still might be time for another pair if this girl sticks with him.

Interest is in round hole T-14. Many others to choose from.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Wow, Doug - Congratulations!

The only way it could be any better would be if they were nesting in your housing!

The second pair you spoke of sounds very promising. I am slowly learning that Purple Martin presence does not mean Purple Martin nesting is inevitable. So, I won't celebrate - yet - keep us posted. :wink:

I wasn't gonna say it - but I will...
I've got my fingers and toes crossed!
Sincerely,
Laverne