Miniture wind turbine? Miniture Exhaust fan?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
tony2tall

Wondering if a miniture wind turbine would upset the birds? I'm sure there isn't one small enough for this application. Appears to me that would greatly help reduce temperatures. Miniture exhaust fan would also be a help. But the birds might not like either? Here in the Mid-South high temps are a given. So a landlord might as well prepare. Is there water misting equipment on the market that would be suitable for bird houses or do you have to fashion your own?
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

A fan? Inside a nest cavity? I have images in my mind of little birds with their wings stuck in mini fans...(yeah, I know, you could solve that problem with a little screen).

I would suggest a few ventilation holes on the opposite end of the cavity from the entrance. Place them high and this should help draw fresh air into the cavity and heat will escape through the vent holes.

If heat is a serious problem in your area, I would suggest using housing that is made from wood or natural gourds. These materials breathe and insulate naturally. In the past, some landlords have gone to great lengths to install insulating panels into their PM housing and spraying the insides of plastic gourds with insulating foam. This would be a better approach than trying to install miniature fans into each cavity. I suppose it could be done - but, then what happens when it rains? Does everybody get wet? This was the same question asked in regards to the misting things. Is wet and hot better than just hot?

I just responded to another post regarding the heat. Purple Martins migrate to the heat. They spend spring and summer in one hemisphere; then fly to the other in time for spring and summer again. They seem to prefer warm weather.
Sincerely,
Laverne
tony2tall

I had in mind one miniature fan for the whole house. With an low rpm fan it would pull air through all the existing vent holes & entrance holes. Have you noticed these type fans located on residential home roofs? With a similar fashioned hood over the fan rain wouldn't be a problem. With the right type equipment the fan could operate on solar power & power near by houses also. By the way I didn't plan on grinding up in feathers.

Tony,

How about a little computer fan attached to a solar cell on the roof with a thermistor (it's a resistor that changes resistance with temperature) to act like a thermostat. I think it would work well as long as you figure out how to mount the fan with possibly some ductwork to keep the fan noise down.

Good luck
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Aw, Tony - I know you were not intending to grind up any feathers.

Now that you have further explained your idea - it sounds like a pretty good one.

The wind blows down here on the coastal plains where I live. I don't need to install any fans - maybe mini air conditioners... now there's a thought...

:wink:

Enjoy your Purple Martin housing improvement invention challenges. They can be a lot of fun and very rewarding for both you and the birds.
Sincerely,
Laverne