Good Video of How to Feed Purple Martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 pm

I want to emphasize a very good point about the need to feed. It is not necessarily just for cold weather, but any weather that reduces natural insect flight. Long periods of rain and windy days, also reduce insect flight. As you know, Purple Martins normally eat only flying insects. Rarely are they seen foraging for food on the ground. From what I read from other landlords and see in my own backyard, when martins are on the ground, they are seen collecting nest material.

This is good stuff, because as I type this, I remember reading these points. I will pay more attention this year when we have rainy days that last 3 days or more. .... Even if it is warm outside.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:04 pm

Here is another Great Video by
bruntdog Tim.
Good Job Tim !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdbY1Rn_hwg
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you Larry Melcher! I have successfully fed our Martins during this very cold and windy winter season in Daytona Beach. They caught on very quickly...probably because they were so hungry...while waiting for the crickets to arrive, I was flinging scrambled egg and they even took that. Great video....and many thanks.

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 am

jeanit,
I am glad this helped you out. I make these video's for my public martin talks and am glad to have this so other landlords can benefit. It is the martins who benefit from all of us freely sharing what we have learned.

I have 3 martins back now... my second day of martins returning this spring and 3,000 crickets ready for me and Emily to fling if needed !!

birdy girl

video

Postby birdy girl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31 pm

That is a great video of feeding martins. Hopefully many landlords will see this and try feeding their martins in cold,rainy weather. Great teaching tool.

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:36 am

TOOOT TOOOT, I always loved your video Larry and the way this winter is going I think many martins need supplemental feeding and many new landlords do not know how to get the little guys to eat.

Your video is a great teaching tool...TOOT TOOT :wink:
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Carolyn C

Postby Carolyn C » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Toot, toot, toot!!!! What a great vidio! Where do you get the crickets? Are dead, dried, alive? I have some dried mealy worms that I might try to fling.
Carolyn

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I buy my crickets on the internet in bulk and keep them alive in a plastic bottom half of a 55 gallon drum. I ran duct tape, just one strip, all the way around the inside of the drum. They climb up the side, but can't grip the duct tape.
When I'm ready to feed martins, I use the cardboard tube from empty TP rolls and paper towels... I just leave them in the drum. When I need crickets, I just pick up one of the cardboard tubes and shake the crickets out of them into a plastic ziplock bag. Crickets love to hide in the tubes. Then, place the bag of crickets in the freezer for about 10 minutes. It won't kill the crickets. When I use a feeder tray, as the lethargic crickets begin to warm and wiggle, the martins see them and eat from the tray.

This is just how I do it. Several landlords freeze the entire shipment of crickets and offer frozen crickets. I don't mind keeping them alive and like to offer crickets alive.

Carolyn C

Postby Carolyn C » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks Larry. One question----doesn't the sound of the crickets drive you crazy?????????? LOL :???:
Carolyn

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am

Larry's videos on feeding and other martin topics can be viewed on the PMCA's new youtube channel, which Larry set up for us - thanks, Larry! You continue to do so much to help martins through public education work and management demonstrations. We are so appreciate of your work on their behalf, and on behalf of the PMCA. We are glad to have Larry Melcher join our Board of Directors.

The PMCA's youtube channel is Purple Martin PMCA, http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

ROBINMOULIERE

Postby ROBINMOULIERE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Larry! What a great video!! toot toot for you !! I enjoyed it so much!
Robin's Nest for purple martins in memory of Mr. Bands. (Mr. Bands came 2010 from New Jersey as a 2 year old. 2011, he CAME BACK TO US, but found dead inside a cavity at start of 2011 season.) 2010- 53 fledged, 2011- 75 fledged, 2012- 109 fledged. Using 2 28 Trendsetter units.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”