Instead of painting your natural gourds, have you tried.....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
geneinmurphy

just using spar varnish???? It's a lot easier than painting one, especially if you go through applying a primer first. I know that the natural brown is darker (and hotter in the summer) but a landlord near me uses nothing but spar varnish on his natural gourds and his are full every year.....
frank arendt

Tried it as a sealer on new gourds..Could not keep white paint on gourds!!!

I've had very good luck with "Cool Seal". It is under different names at different stores, but it works very well for me. It's made for roofs on campers and trailers. I've used it on gourds that were soaked in a solution to make them last longer and I've painted it on gourds that were all natural. I never used a primer, just painted it on after a light sanding. It's a lot thicker than paint so it makes a good coat plus it is made to reflect more heat than paint. Not real expensive either, maybe $16 or $17 a gallon. One gallon will go a long way.

I've had very good luck with "Cool Seal". It is under different names at different stores, but it works very well for me. It's made for roofs on campers and trailers. I've used it on gourds that were soaked in a solution to make them last longer and I've painted it on gourds that were all natural. I never used a primer, just painted it on after a light sanding. It's a lot thicker than paint so it makes a good coat plus it is made to reflect more heat than paint. Not real expensive either, maybe $16 or $17 a gallon. One gallon will go a long way.