Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

I have been trying to establish a new colony and so far have had no luck. I have however managed to attract several Tree Swallows to look over my house, which begged the question, is this a good sign or a bad sign, does their presence indicate that there should also be Martins in the area, and if so why haven't they found the house yet? I would appreciate any input on this subject.

This is a great site for cohabitating Tree Swallows and Purple Martins:

http://www.drugfreeworkplace.com/~Dan/T ... GENCY.html

At the moment, I have 6 or 7 Tree swallows circling over my (human) house in the evening, but these are adults with fledglings and are more interested in feeding themselves and feeding one another than overtaking my purple martin housing. Never let Tree swallows claim your purple martin housing, but they're no problem to have around. Plus they give you something to look at while waiting for your purple martins.
Indiana_Tom

:lol: You and I have walked the same road. I am trying to attract martins for a new colony .........but haven't had much luck yet. Earlier, I thought I had a pair of martins moving in until I did a little reading. They were Tree Swallows instead. By the way, BEAUTFUL bird...

They are smaller than the purple martin. The big difference is they do not live in colonies. If they nest in your martin house they will try to run off any other interested bird including martins.

I lowered the house that had two gourds hanging underneath and covered it with a sheet. Then I put up a seperate pole about 40 feet away and let them build in it. I waited until I was sure they had at least one egg before I opened the martin house again.

With their own nest a short distance away, they are leaving the martin house alone. They may still perch at the martin house but they don,t treat it like they are protecting their nest.

As I said, I just went through that. At least it was early in the migration season for me. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.