Emergency -Fledgling on ground-what to do?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zoefluf

What next!?!? Went out to check and there is a fledgling on the ground hopping around. I have no idea where he came from. A couple of feathers on the ground next to him. Don't know if something tried to eat him or what but he looks healthy and is trying to fly. Should I just get a ladder and put him on the house porch of an empty cavity. Will any Martin feed him? I cannot lower the housing because of so many fledging but I CAN get on a ladder. Please anyone give me some advice!
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Jeanne, I have read many times on this forum that getting them up and back in a gourd or at least on a porch is best for them. The parents won't feed them on the ground, but will find him if he's up on a house/gourd/rack somewhere.

Found your ladder yet? :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
zoefluf

I am going to wait until later this evening to put him on the porch of the house. It's much to hot to put him up there now and he has settled himself perching under my bench on a wire in the shade. I hope he makes it until this evening. I'll do what I can. My ladder is always at the ready! :grin:
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
The Olsons

Jeanne,

Can you put him in a shoe box until the morning and maybe try to feed some crickets or meal worms? Then try to put him in a cavity first thing in the morning when most of the martins are around. I am sure you can put him in any cavity with babies approximately his age. I would worry about him trying to hop away and get in trouble.....but you know me....Mother Hen :oops:
Best wishes for you and that little guy!

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
zoefluf

WELL, I tried putting him on the porch of my Coates house near a cavity that had others his size (just guessing here by the hatching dates). Unfortunately, he kept jumping BUT I did manage to get him in an empty cavity and he stayed put. It is just below some that are his age so I am hoping the parents think he is one of theirs. I don't know if he will cry out for food or not. I think he was just one or two days from fledging.

I did my best and hope he makes it somehow. His mother was screaming at me but I watched all day and didn't see her go into any specific gourd or house. It was now or never as I must leave to go out tonight. I feel bad about the whole thing. I wish he would have just been gone when I got back from church and then I wouldn't be in such a state. :cry:
Jeanne
Spiderman

Donna in Tx. explained to me that you can get the fledgling to take crickets if you use your fingernail on the side of his mouth and force his mouth open. We have had quite a few jumpers this year and usually put them in a 5 gallon bucket and give them 3 crickets. When the sun gets low in the sky, we give them 3 more and return them to a nestbox near where they appeared. Most will fledge in a day or two and just need a little more nutrition to make their first flight.

Actually, there is one sleeping in our garage right now that I need to put back in a house from jumping today.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
The Olsons

Spiderman,

Donna is amazing; she takes such great care of all her babies...I do not know how she does it, but she does. I am happy to hear that you follow her advise and help the babies survive.

I guess each one of us is introduced to different challenges every martin season and many of them are scary and we feel helpless but thanks to this great Forum and their members it helps us all to interact and help each other. Best wishes for you and your martins :grin: :grin: :grin:

Astrid
zoefluf

I found another one this evening in the grass and I placed it in a makeshift open nest right under the gourd where there were four other nestlings hanging on the porch. Actually, I think this is the last gourd to fledge and the only one where I can see the parents coming back to during the day.

I think the one I found is a little larger than the nestlings hanging out on the porch so I was hesitant to put it into the nest with them. Actually he may be the one from yesterday.

If he makes it through the night I may try Donna's feeding technique and try to get it to a rehaber tomorrow afternoon.
Jeanne
The Olsons

Best wishes Jeanne :grin: :wink: I know it is a challenge, but you can do it!!!!

Astrid
Joe Zorn

Jeannie,
It's almost dark out there now....You're about 150 miles northwest of me.

The important thing is to get the baby into a house with babies about it's size. The mother will probably NOT go feed it in a different nest, nor will any other adult.

It's only chance for survival is to be in a nest that adults are bring food. I gather that until the nestling fledges, the parents don't seem to care who they feed. I've often put babies into other nests when the parents died. The new parent usually does fine with it.

Getting the baby to STAY put is the problem. Once this year, after an owl attack, I had only one baby left of 5. I put him back, and he jumped immediately. I repeated that two more times, then plugged the entrance for about an hour. Mom kept landing with bugs. Finally, when I pulled the string on the plug, she went in and fed, and the youngun stayed. That nest was ready to fledge, so I don't know if he made it or fledged the next day, but he was gone when I came home from work in the evening. I recorded it as a fledgling.
zoefluf

Joe,
Unfortunately, just about dark I saw the PM jump from the makeshift nest I had made. By the time I got a bucket and went outside it was almost dark and I couldn't find him. I think he was hiding out in some bushes about 20 feet from the pole. I'm still upset and worried about him. I will be SO glad when this last nest fledges.
Jeanne
Purple Man
Martin Colony History: My First year 2018

KathyF wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:21 pm
Jeanne, I have read many times on this forum that getting them up and back in a gourd or at least on a porch is best for them. The parents won't feed them on the ground, but will find him if he's up on a house/gourd/rack somewhere.

Found your ladder yet? :lol:
Hey Jeanne, I actually saw just yesterday where two fledglings (almost ready to fly) were on the ground ,not one but three adult martins flew down and sat with them for a bit and it appeared they were giving them something to eat .
Mike
Eastern North Carolina
Purple Man
Martin Colony History: My First year 2018

zoefluf wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:56 pm
WELL, I tried putting him on the porch of my Coates house near a cavity that had others his size (just guessing here by the hatching dates). Unfortunately, he kept jumping BUT I did manage to get him in an empty cavity and he stayed put. It is just below some that are his age so I am hoping the parents think he is one of theirs. I don't know if he will cry out for food or not. I think he was just one or two days from fledging.

I did my best and hope he makes it somehow. His mother was screaming at me but I watched all day and didn't see her go into any specific gourd or house. It was now or never as I must leave to go out tonight. I feel bad about the whole thing. I wish he would have just been gone when I got back from church and then I wouldn't be in such a state. :cry:
Jeanne
I had the same thing happen and found I had to put my hand so that he had little choice(Basically stuck his head in the hole) but to go in the gourd and that worked. Do this carefully of course.
Mike
Eastern North Carolina
Black Jack

I had one do the same thing a few days ago. I got a extra gourd and attached it to the pole about half way up which was about 8 feet off the ground. I put him in the gourd using a step latter. He was gone by late evening. i saw the parents feeding him.