Baby PM's in Va Beach

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Happy Friday to all!
Well we have 3 babies now. We had 5 eggs and 3 hatched the beginning of this week. There are two eggs that still have not hatched as of last night. I will check tonight after work but is this unusual and what is my next step with the two eggs if they do not hatch?

I just read another post by Mary and got my answer. Thanks Mary. I really have no plans on intervening with Mother Nature anyway. :)
Mary Dawnsong

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your first-ever martin hatchlings!

I surely hope they fledge successfully. If so, the martins in your neighborhood will know your site is a good place and you will be rewarded with a larger colony next year!

My best, Mary
Click here to see my colony
"In Michigan every martin matters"

Hi there Mary,
Thank you very much. it has certainly been interesting but fun. Sunday afternoon while doing a nest check, I noticed that both unhatched eggs had been removed by the parents. I saw one half of one shell down below but that was all the evidence they existed. The three babies look great and healthy. Also on Sunday, we had at least 7 Martins around our property. I do believe there was one all purple adult and possibly one adult female. I attached their pictures. The adult male has been hanging during the day around the gourd rack, that I will be replacing this fall, for several days now. The one on the trio had a extremely loud voice which I do not think it was one of the parents. Her breast seemed to be alot darker shade of brown.
Attachments
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG (41.68 KiB) Viewed 2886 times

Somehow the other picture did not attach. Here it is.
Attachments
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG (27.56 KiB) Viewed 2900 times