Have Martins in central PA :)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

April 1st a ASY male showed up. Landed on the powerlines, then circled several times & left. April 2nd a ASY Female showed up. She checked out the house, circled several times & left. April 3rd they came back together & were joined by a 2nd ASY male. They circled many times, landed a few times. Then they left & I didn't see them until Sunday (April 12th) morning. We had very unseasional weather all last week. Temps were as high as 90 & sunny. Normally it's in the 50's this time of year. Our temps have since gone back to normal.

Only 1 male was seen Sunday morning. He looked worn out. You could see his downy feathers sticking out. He sat for a long time on the power lines & then once the sun came out he left. Then last night all 3 came in & spent the night. Today they came & went. Tonight a 3rd male joined them :). I have 1 house open so far. I'm going to move the 2nd house & put in a 3rd. My husband has the ground sleeve cemented in place & ready to go. I decided to wait to put up the 3rd house until I get a few nesting, so I don't scare them off.

I'm praying we have a nice summer & I get as many or more than I had last year, which was 12 nesting pair. I wasn't able to stay on top of my colony last year due to Ovarain cancer/surgery & chemo treatments. I'm past all that now & am looking forward to a good season.

Agnes flood may have done them all in 1972, but I'm trying my best to see that they have a safe place to finally rebuild.

ToyinPA
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Toyin;
So glad to hear about the activity at your site, you are giving we Pennsylvanians some hope. I am down here in the southwestern part of the state waiting for some activity of my own. As I educate myself about Martins I have learned that Pennsylvania populations are not that good so it is great to hear about your success. Keep up the good work and send some birds my way.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Make that 4 ASY males :). Had another come in this morning.

It's cold & cloudy here today. Expecting rain soon. I just went out to see how they were doing, as all but one remained in the house. They all took off & circled many times then headed for the river. I had thought of feeding them, but they're a bit skiddish right now.

I do feel those of us, who have small colonies, may one day bring the population back to it's former glory. Hopefully they'll spread out & make many small colonies across the state.

Hang in there Bill...don't give up. I sent you a PM with some suggestions.

ToyinPA.