waiting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Hello all! I am new to this forum and am quite jealous of all of you south of the border. I am in southern Ontario and still waiting for the arrival of our first martins. I have only been a landlord for 4 years now and my colony has only grown by a pair or two each year. I was at 10 pair last year, I couldn't imagine the numbers that some of you seem to get. I love reading all of your advice and comments and seeing the pics of various colonies. I am looking forward to another successful martin season. Wish me luck.
Stingray

bdjrempel wrote:Hello all! I am new to this forum and am quite jealous of all of you south of the border. I am in southern Ontario and still waiting for the arrival of our first martins. I have only been a landlord for 4 years now and my colony has only grown by a pair or two each year. I was at 10 pair last year, I couldn't imagine the numbers that some of you seem to get. I love reading all of your advice and comments and seeing the pics of various colonies. I am looking forward to another successful martin season. Wish me luck.
Welcome to the forum! :grin:
Looks like you have a prospering colony!
I wish you a great year!!

Best regards,
Have a great season!
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Rempel;
Sounds like you are doing very well. I am in my second season in Western Pa. and have learned that Martins are quite rare in my area, so to me yours sounds like quite a success story. I have yet to even spot a Martin. It seems like geography plays a very important part in success and failure. I am jealous of all of the Martin enthusiasts in the Southern US, as they seem to have an abundance of Martins. What part of Southern Ontario are you in. My family vacationed in Ontario every year when I was a little boy, many, many years ago. We stayed at Westport, Tweed, and the Kawartha lakes region. All beautiful country. Best of luck to you, maybe some of your fledglings will stop off in Western Pa. some day.

Hanover Bill
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
Don~VA
Martin Colony History: Had a colony many years ago which dwindled over a couple of years and then did not return. Kept trying each year for almost 20 years and finally had a small success in 2011 with two pairs nesting. Colony has grown slowly each year with 22 pairs in 2015. In 2016 my gourd rack of 18 gourds filled up so I added 4 more gourds and then put up a small rack of 6 gourds. All of those were claimed within a few days so I believe I have at least 25 pairs this year.

bdjrempel, It sounds like you have already had good luck with 10 pairs, that's great. Here's wishing you much LUCK in increasing your colony again this year! Enjoy the forum and the season.
Don~Northern Neck of Virginia-PMCA Member