2010 Site pictures

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
birdy girl

This years pictures of site. Hard to get all racks in picture. All the martins are out at this time.
ChrisM

So this is where all of the martins call home!!!

Birdy Girl has them!!! :grin: :grin:

BTW fantastic setup want to come to our county to help us country folk?

nice pics

ChrisM Brown County, Kansas
birdy girl

Thanks Chris. I should have taken pictures in the morning when lots are here. I will do that soon. Hey, we are about as country as you can get here.

Hey birdy girl,

I am impressed! Looks great. Beautiful place. 8)
DakotaLady

BirdyGirl,

Very nice set up. I was looking at adding gourd racks like that. Where did you purchase yours at? The ones I looked at online are so expensive that I'm hoping to find something a bit less costly.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged

Ooooohhhhhhhh. Jealousy rears its ugly head! :) Very nice setup. We need more pictures.
birdy girl

Dakota Lady,
I sent you a message through forum messages.

I will take some pics in the morning when the martins are here and post them very soon.
Steve Kroenke

Hey Birdy Girl,

Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful martin colony! Your location is open and so attractive to martins. Martins should be able to see any approaching Accipiter hawk in time to escape in most situations.

Steve

WOW! I'm very impressed with your colony, Birdy Girl! Do you do nest checks on all these cavities? If so, it must be a daunting task!

Looking forward to more pictures, with some of your Martins present.
birdy girl

Steve,
We do have Coopers and they do attack. I am sure some martins do get caught but most attacks here in the last 2 years the martins have escaped. We stand out most evenings when they are coming in to try and prevent any attacks. I do notice my decoys turned upside down sometimes and several days ago two decoys that were on the same rack were on the ground.

Fotoman,
Last year we had 92 pair and it was rough doing nest checks with hot temps. It will take even more time this year with the additions we have made. We do nest checks about every 3 days (if work schedule permits) and do these until some are near fledgling time. I just hope I don't regret the additions when it takes longer to do checks with 90 to 100 degree temps and high humidity. I will post more photos when martins are here. I just wish my camera and photography skills were as good as yours. We very much enjoy your photos.
Joe Levins

Birdy Girl your site is certainly beautiful. Looks like a wonderful location. I know you are mighty proud of it, rightly so. Hope you fill all of them.
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Birdy Girl:

I don't recall seeing pictures of your site in the past. I am jealous of your wide open area. What a great site for a martin colony. It is great that you conduct nest checks; especially every three days. If you fill all of your cavities, I bet you will be just finishing checking the last cavity when it is time to start all over again. Best of luck to you this season.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

OMG! That an extensive and BEAUTIFUL site & setup. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing the pic. Loved them! Those are lucky martins down there.

Carl
Peggy Riley

Birdy Girl what a lovely place you have! Very nice set up.

Peggy

Very, very nice BG. I know what kind of effort it took to do that. I'm sure you are repaid over and over with enjoyment. Well done.
trisha

Birdy Girl, you have a beautiful place! Looking forward to seeing more pictures! Good luck this year!
Trisha

PMCA member
2019, 36 pair
birdy girl

Thanks to everyone. The martins do give us many hours of enjoyment just watching them. We are very fortunate to have them here. Just wish they could know how much we enjoy their presence.
Caroline94535-ND
Martin Colony History: Will add later

That's a beautiful site! How many gourds do you have? How do you manage to even get them hung in the spring and take them down in the fall?

And my hubby thinks I'm "going overboard" by trying to increase from eight to 16 gourds! LOL

I can't wait to show him these photos.
~ Not all those who wander are lost.
birdy girl

Caroline,
It is very time consuming. Hubby does most of the putting up and taking down. We have 162 cavities with 14 of them being a T-14 house. Sometimes we may be putting up our last gourds when a few martins are already here.
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Wow!!!! Birdy Girl, thats all I can say about those pictures and your set up. No wonder I can't get any Martins up here in Pa. If I were a Purple Martin and flew over your place, thats as far north as I would want to go too. No need to go further with those accomodations. Great set up, continued success to you, keep up the good work.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72