slum lords

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jeremy Shuler

Our fire dept. has an old martin house that is over ran by HOSP. There is sparrow nesting material hanging out of every compartment and they never clean it out. But Sunday they had 2 ASY males show up and they have martins every year, yet I have a clean site with no sparrows and cant get birds to stay.
Jeremy Shuler
2009-housing up late 1 SY male for a month
2010-2 ASY pairs- fledged 9
2011- 5 ASY pairs building nests and 2 SY pairs several SY males

dont feel bad, i'm sparrow and starling free and in the open with a pond and have only seen a few passing by.
Barbara - DT

Don't feel lonely. I have done everything by the book, but have only had a few lookers. The people down the road, (who didn't even know what the house was for. it was there when they bought a few years ago) They have a rundown wooden house overrun with HOSP's and at least 3 pair of PM's. Some times I wonder why I even try :cry: . I have played the dawn song so much that the mockingbirds do a perfect imitation!
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Jeremy, you might be able to get your "martin fix" by stopping by the fire dept. and offering to manage the house for them and trap the HOSP out. Besides, the more successful the fire dept. house is, the higher your chances are of starting a colony from one of this year's fledges ...next year! Helping them be MORE successful, will likely increase your chances! :wink:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
billb

Hard to figure these birds out. I was playing golf at a course north of Houston this morning. Several bird houses spread throughout the course in various conditions. At one particular house, the pole and house, an old trio or dura craft castle, were leaning about 30 degrees, and the roof was missing. The uppper rooms had no ceiling. Sparrow nests in the 3 compartments facing down, but the only birds around were a pair of Martins. They were sitting on the house, preening and vocalizing quite loudly. Unbelievable!
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Jeremy;
Don't feel bad, at least you live in an area where there are Martins, I'm sure they will find you sooner rather than later. I on the other hand am beginning to realize that I live in one of the most Martin barren areas in the country, in Southwestern Pa. In fact the county I live in has had only one nesting pair to my knowledge. I guess Hurricane Agnes wiped out almost the entire population in 1972 and even though it has been 40 years I guess they have never re-established themselves in any appreciable numbers in my area. None the less I will continue to try. Maybe I can some day play a small part in re-establishing them in this area.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

I second what Kathy had to say..If the fire department does'nt mind, go for it..you would be helping the Martins out..
Scully

If you do decide to manage that fire station house, be careful.

DO NOT pull the sparrow nests before you have trapped the sparrows in each, otherwise the dispossessed sparrows WILL go in and break martin eggs and kill their young ("sparrow rage"), I've seen it happen.

Mike Scully
...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them. Canasatego 1744
cchild03

Jeremy,

I could've written your same post. In fact, I DID write your same post a few years ago. It seemed like I would never get martins. My site was ideal and was sparrow and starling free, and I would drive around town and see martins living in the worst conditions. It was so frustrating. But after three years of trying, I finally got an SY pair to nest here. The second year (last year) I had four pairs. I currently have three pairs and am hoping to pick up some SYs in a few weeks. Don't give up hope. Just keep doing what you're doing. I know the birds will find you!
Candace
Jeremy Shuler

thats a good idea I had never thaught to go ask if I could manage it also. Thanks for that idea. but there is a problem the house dont raise or lower.
Jeremy Shuler
Ken&Sheryle - TX

I agree with Mike Scully; do not pull out the sparrow nesting materials cuz they will get very mad and attack the Purple Martin's eggs. I am also in the same opinion about how folks put up a Martin house but yet do NOT TAKE CARE of the housing for the use of ONLY purple martins. I drive by a house that in their backyard they have quite a few houses and some gourds - all filled to the brim with sparrows. I get so upset about it however there is not to much I can do. WE don't live in that neighborhood....it just upsets me that if they put up a Purple Martin's Houses - the use should be ONLY FOR PURPLE MARTINS. They have enough to deal with then pesky sparrows. We are doing fairly well, even though the numbers are down from last year...I think due to such a cold winter etc we have quite a few Martins. I love to see them start building; which we put nesting materials up on a pole for them; making it easier for them to get it on the pole instead of on the ground.

Good Luck to All!!!
Sheryle
Martin's Rule!!!!!!!!!
Jeremy Shuler

I have another question. I went by today and all 12 compartments had sparrow nesting material hanging out of it. Since the sparrows have claimed all of the compartments then where will the martins nest??????
Jeremy Shuler
KathyF

If there aren't any martins nesting there, then it's probably safe to pull all the nests and any sparrow eggs/nestlings to free up cavities for the martins.

Do you have a trap?
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Jeremy Shuler

No I dont have a trap and I talked to them today and they told me NO. So if the martins hanging around there dont have a cavity to nest in does that raise the chances at my site??
Jeremy Shuler
KathyF

Jeremy Shuler wrote:No I dont have a trap and I talked to them today and they told me NO. So if the martins hanging around there dont have a cavity to nest in does that raise the chances at my site??
Yes - if your site has open flyways and is attractive in all aspects, the martins will start looking for a new home. It really sucks they said no - did they give a reason why?
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Jeremy Shuler

They said if the birds wanted the house that bad they would clean it out them selves. I told them they wouldnt but they just wanted to argue with me about it and in the end just said NO.
Jeremy Shuler
Matt F.

Jeremy,
You should be proud of your efforts.
If you talk to them again, invite them to go to purplemartin.org
KathyF

Jeremy Shuler wrote:They said if the birds wanted the house that bad they would clean it out them selves. I told them they wouldnt but they just wanted to argue with me about it and in the end just said NO.
Jeremy - agreed with Matt - at least you had the courage to try. You can't fix years of stupid! :lol:

And now you have that experience under your belt so that when you find the next slum lord site, you will know the variety of resistance you may receive, and who knows - your next experience may be a more positive one!
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair