Moment of Joy

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DelmaWhisenhunt

Moment of Joy

Postby DelmaWhisenhunt » Wed May 04, 2011 6:08 pm

This afternoon while in my backyard three martins soared over and two landed momentarily, but then away they went. At least I got to see what martins might look like on my houses. A moment of joy for me/ the insurance adjuster was here and telling me the roof on my house is a total loss because of the recent hailstorm. I was so shocked forgot to ask if extended coverage went to one of the martin houses which got a busted roof. LOL Sure he would have considered me the looney insured.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover

bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Postby bwenger » Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Delma, it's great to hear this.

It's a start, isn't it. Who knows, maybe by next week they may be building a nest.

We're all praying for you.

Bill

DelmaWhisenhunt

Getting better !

Postby DelmaWhisenhunt » Thu May 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Baited the wire sparrow trap this morning and within a few minutes had captured two wild sparrows. Just knowing those two or three martins soared over yesterday, gave me the fight again. Maybe if the martins return will at least not have to deal with these two particular dudes. The trap is baited again enticed with white bread and small seeds. Placed on a yellow lid that came off margarine, they can't help but see the bright yellow.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Delma,

I have been watching your posts and I know that if not this season next season you will have martins. You are such a great and dedicated landlord that the martins will come and find you....best wishes :-)
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

DelmaWhisenhunt

Now Blue Birds Again

Postby DelmaWhisenhunt » Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 am

About the time I take issue with the sparrows, here comes the blue birds and they are equally defensive, at least for me. I had a gourd hanging on one of the martin houses, lo and behold the blue birds like it, too. Will I ever win and get martins?
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover

dsonyay

Postby dsonyay » Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 am

you'll need to close up that gourd and place a BB box nearby. They won't leave the martins alone unless you get the bluebirds out of there.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”