Watching babies hatch - Priceless!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zoefluf

Watching babies hatch - Priceless!

Postby zoefluf » Sat May 07, 2011 2:08 pm

The babies are hatching right on schedule in my nest-cam gourd. You know it, I am glued to the TV screen! My PM pair are the BEST parents ever. Mom cleans up the mess and gets some well-needed nourishment by eating the eggshells after the babies hatch. Then she sits on the nestling to keep it warm. Mom and Dad are taking turns feeding the three that have hatched so far. When Dad comes in, after he feeds them, he just sits there gazing at them in awe for a while, gives them a hug, then he leaves them once again to find something good for them to eat. It's so cute! 8) The naked little nestlings are so adorable, no wonder their parents dote on them.
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."

dsonyay

Postby dsonyay » Sat May 07, 2011 4:43 pm

He's not in awe Jeanne- he's wondering if his carefree days are over! :-D

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am

Jeanne,

I am happy for you that you are having a great season. I know you will be glued to that nest cam 24/7....enjoy!!!!

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

zoefluf

Postby zoefluf » Sun May 08, 2011 6:49 pm

David,
My husband would agree with your comment. :???:

Astrid,
So good to hear from you. Watching those naked nestlings trying to lift up their scrawny little necks when their parents come in with the bugs is a hoot and the love and the care that the parents give to them just warms my heart. Though, of course, you know I am fretting the whole time I'm watching what goes on in the nest. But, it's all good. This hobby is so fulfillingand rewarding at the best of times. I won't mention the worst of times here. I want to enjoy this moment of peace. :)
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Jeanne,
Enjoy every moment yo can...we all do not know when there will be another one. Martins are awesome to watch and have as our friends.

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”