Drought Feeding

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Drought Feeding

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2011 4:40 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by all the bad weather this spring. While some of you readers are wondering if the rain will stop, we here in South Central Texas are wondering if we will ever get any.
Today I found out that my five eggs have hatched. Due to the drought I thought I would supplement Mom and Dad's foraging with some crickets. Mom has figured out that the objects that mysteriously appear in front of her nests are edible, Dad hasn't got the clue yet.
Does anyone have a rule of thumb on how much or how little I can supplement without messing with Mother Nature? I only have these five babies and would like to give them at least a good chance at making it. I was watching today and Mom and Dad seem to be finding bugs, so I don't want to over do it.

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Elmo, I am sorry that you also have the drought conditions to deal with and are worried about the babies. I live near Corpus Christi and it is awful to watch how few and little bugs the martins are bringing in. Like Louise Chambers and John Barrow I feed my martins every day some crickets, meal worms and Zophoba worms which the martins love.

I would continue to put food on the porch or inside the cavity. I had to do that with one nest because he Mom did not catch on to the feeder. Since your female recognizes the food she will only feed the babies what they need and if there are bugs available she will prefer to feed those to the babies and maybe eat the crickets herself.

The subject of supplemental feeding always has been an issue amongst landlords. Some are totally for it and others are totally against it. I had to learn over the years to be able to live with myself and say I tried my best so I will feed when the martins let me know they are hungry. I am not going to watch the babies or parents die of starvation.

We have reduced fledglings this year, but I think the feeding helped a lot. I had my first dying baby last night and it was awful to look at it. It was just a bundle of bones and so hungry but could not swallow anymore.

You certainly cannot overfeed the martins because I have seen that the moment bugs are available they will not touch my food. They know what they are doing and I think it is great that you want to help them 8)

Best wishes to you and your kiddos!!!
Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Joe Zorn

Postby Joe Zorn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 pm

deleted

Posted in the wrong thread

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”