Some may remember!!!!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Right before the forum went down I sent a topic about a ASY male and female I now have nestbuilding and wondering if here in Arkansas if that wasnt a little late..............the updat is.....we will see she is putting green leaves in as of this morning.I had a reply to that question in my email but when I went to the forum it was down.never seen who replied.Thought it might be a little late for brooding here.but they are gonna give it a go.........my Sy female should hatch tommorrow or Monday.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hip-Hip-Hurrayyyy!!!

As you say - we shall see. When you do the math, it's not so bad... if she starts laying this weekend and finishes by Wednesday (or so) eggs should hatch the week of July 4th and fledge around the 1st of August. I've never seen it that late here in my part of Texas ---- but, this ain't Arkansas. And this is an ASY pair you are talking about. Something apparently happened with their first nest attempt - so, they're gonna give it another shot. Or maybe they are one of those phenomenal pair who pull off a second nest in one season. I'm rooting for 'em Mr. Lodi!!

Run out there and tell them - you've got the whole country pulling for them. I hope they raise six beautiful Purple birdies.
Sincerely,
Laverne

I have an SY pair that stated laying last Sunday in Springdale, AR. She only laid 3 eggs so has been sitting since Tuesday. The SY male is the one that stayed here early in the year (prior to pairing up) and was almost caught in a hawk attack at dusk while he was roosting on the porch of my S&K house. He has never spent th enight here since. The female only started spending the night after the eggs werre laid and she started sitting. Male still flies off each night and returns first thing in the morning. This is my first pair to use a gourd.

Yours will be roughly a week behind this pair. I have an ASY male that has brought a female by for about 3 days in a row. Not sure if they are interested or just checking out houses after finishing their nest.

Good luck Mr. Lodi!

Questions .questions ........questions I am full of em.Yea I had a hawk attack yesterday here.It was a pretty poor attack though and I scred the bajeeezeess out of the villian.speaking of males my Sy male ever since she started brooding is not around much at all.If I didnt know better I would say hehas left here??????????????Laverne how are you figuring the fledgeling dates???? My Sy female laid the first egg on 5-29 and the last one on 6-1.PS HAVE NOT SEEN MY SY MALE ALL DAY :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Mr Lodi, I hope the hawk didn't get your SY male.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Emil he does that.gone for a day or two then boom.shows back up.I am thinking when the brood hatches maybe I will see more of him??????Can a female raise and feed 4 by herself?Matter of fact as I type I remember I seen him yesterday or day before in the gourd briefly with the female.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

There is a good chance that she can raise 4 without help. I have seen them raise 3 big fat babies..
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Something has gone wrong.had 4 eggs yesterday and this morning she is only setting on two. :x :x :x Dont know what could have happened.I have noticed that several other pms have been paying alot of attention to her while she is setting on her eggs......they set on the gourd porch and watch her.....???????????????
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Mr Lodi wrote:Laverne how are you figuring the fledgeling dates???? My Sy female laid the first egg on 5-29 and the last one on 6-1.
Mr Lodi - I thought we were talking about an ASY pair that has been nest building and bringing in green leaves. You asked if it was too late. I was "estimating" about eggs that haven't been laid yet.

Now, I just read your last post regarding the missing eggs. That concerns me. You are thinking her mate may have disappeared. If he is gone and not able to help her protect the nest, then the other bachelor males hanging around may be removing her eggs in hopes of getting her to mate with them.

I hope she manages to hang on to the last of her eggs. They are due to hatch - I hope they make it...

Good luck
Sincerely,
Laverne

After 4 years of mayhem and bedlam................I HAVE A BABY MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!One egg has yet to hatch.Still don't know what happened to the other two eggs........I do know that I have 2or 3 extra Sy males that hang around here during the day......and I witnessed one male pull her out of the gourd today but I had replaced the round with a crescent and he could not enter.But then just when you think she is by herself and the mate to her is missing....a male enters the gourd and sets with her.now is that her mate who knows.may not want to look in the gourd after he was there.but she didnt put up a fight or anything.talking about confused. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: But regardless I have a little pink baby in the gourd next to the egg that is gonna hatch also quickly i am assuming.JUST CURIOUS.WOULD SHE REMOVE THE EGGS IF SHE KNEW THEY WERE NOT GONNA HATCH???????????.....................................................NEVER MIND THE MALE IS STILL HERE.HE JUST WHOPPED A SY BAHCELOR A MINUTE AGO.HE MAY OF LET EM CATCH HIS GAURD DOWN TODAY AND THEY REMOVED SOME EGGS OR SHE TOOK THEM OUT HERSELF??????????
Laverne

Hello, again, Mr. Lodi!

Congratulations on the little hatchling - I hope the other egg hatched.

I'm so glad daddy came back. He was probably around all along, he may have been intimidated by the bachelor SYs - BUT, now that there is a little, pink, moving, mouth-wide-open, baby in the nest, his paternal instinct has kicked in. So, he's back in the nest with the female to help her defend, protect, and feed the young. This has all been a learning experience for him. If they successfully fledge that little one (or two) - the parents will be back next season. Yippeee!!

We're all hoping they make it! Good luck - keep us posted!
Sincerely,
Laverne

Hey Laverne they hatched look at my last post ......Amazing!!!!!!!