Harassment of PM's (Shooting and Chemicals)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
eyeamtheman
Martin Colony History: Super colony

Postby eyeamtheman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 am

There's an elephant in here?? (looks around the room frantically). Sorry, but like what was mentioned above by that YOUNG dancing girl from Iowa, I didn't see anything racist. They are what they are, and that cannot change. It's certainly tough living inside a city limit where discharging firearms are usually against the law. I mean, dang.....it wouldn't take half an investigator to tell if a firearm has been shot recently. There IS such a thing as gunpowder residue. Crime scenes deal with that very thing daily.....
Johnny

KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Postby KathyF » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I agree with Dakotalady - she is spot on. You are selfishly putting your martins at risk because you want to prove a point. Stop putting housing up for them and they will move on. If they move to the neighbor's house and get shot, then that is on the neighbor and not your fault and eventually, the martins will stop going there too and move on. It sounds to me that it would be best if they left your entire neighborhood - and you too. Even if you're able to raise a few fledglings, what good have you done if those same fledglings go to the neighbor's house where they'll be shot?? So what good have you accomplished?

I too have been watching this saga for the last few years and every year it's the same thing. Your martins are dying, your health is at risk, and the cops won't do anything. How are you winning or proving anything??? Cut your losses and move.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but after days spent working very hard to save martins from the harshness of nature, I find the situation you've put your martins in to be very unnecessary.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

Harassment of PM's (Shooting and Chemical)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for your comments. John, I needed that information so I could accept the birds' orientation as is. I cut the top out of a dwarf pear and another plant hoping they would make more trips over my house instead of the meth maker's garage on the south. I have some concern now about lowering the house to the lowest setting as any one coming into my yard at night would find it easier to hurt the birds, and since there was someone in the area in the back where I have raspberries last week, I know they will come over my 6 foot fence.

One big problem here has been the neighbors' refusal to report anything to the police and they either think it is not happening (the 2 elderly ladies on the other side of the meth maker) or that they do not intend to get involved unless the drug gang here does something to them first (the 2 brothers across from each other--one on the other side of the now vacant house where the Mexicans were renting). One 65 year-old woman 4 houses south of me on the opposite side of the street has been very involved in trying to get something done. I have sent tapes to Law Enforcement, but it seems that they have to see the illegal activities whether gun shooting or meth making. In '07, a family whose husband worked as a security guard moved into the house now vacant and smelled the odors but would not report what they knew to be happening and decided to move. They had a 6 year old and grown children with children in the area which may have influenced their decision.

I had considered not putting any of this on the forum but need help and other opinions among them--fight or run. Sometimes we have to take a stand whatever happens to us. My great, great, great grandmother according to a distant relatives was a full-blooded Cherokee. From my own research, I know I am English, Scot, Irish, French Hugonut, German-Dutch and Cherokee on another side. Our homes have decreased in value about 20% now and are not selling so we either rent or give them away. If you rent, you may not get your rent and certainly you can expect expensive damage most of the time. When people move into our neighborhood and refuse to live by our laws, we cannot always just move. Shooting birds seems to have become a recreation for some people as I have heard shots some way from here. Maybe if I take the house down, it will stop, but I doubt it as it seems a recreation for some people.

One of the pleasures of my life since '05 have been the Purple Martins. Perhaps the meth maker thinks by taking away my pleasures, he can get rid of me. He destroys my gardens each year with chemicals--24D identified by the Extension Agent and others are out there I am sure. I plant the garden anyway and try to grow things that have to be peeled or shelled. A lot of times, the plants are so damaged they do not produce. I had a bearing apple tree, peach tree and apricot tree--all have been destroyed by chemicals. A delicious plum is half dead. If there was a man here to say this is happening, something would have been done a long time ago. But, the police as are my neighbors are unfamiliar with chemical damage and plants so I have spent alot of time and even money trying to prove this damage. Even the professionals are reluctant to get invoved--those who could come and walk over my property and point out the chemically damaged foliage.

A couple of years ago, a neighbor near the PM colony across the street stated there were a lot of dead birds there but other than that she had no comment. Now many of them have been shot but there are others than the Mexicans who live near that colony invovled. I have info on where some of the shots come from but not enough probably to get the police to investigate. However, they have had influence in getting the shooting sudued some although silencers are now being used.

When you have only one or two nests, you notice many things in the PM's behavior that go unnoticed when there are several. This little male bird had such a difficult time getting the female to nest where he had chosen, and it was where he had chosen. She was scared of the meth maker and the goons he has hiding in his garage and coming out to shoot or scare her away. The little male began bringing in grass, etc., for the nest while she was still hanging out across the street at the colony. When she laid her first egg, he was elated!!. I could not believe a bird could show that much happiness!. I have written in the past about some of the things that happened with the babies I rehabed. Last year, I had a bird with me in the car and stopped at a store. I was in there too long probably. When I got in the car, that little bird made the sweetest chirping sounds which could have meant only that he/she was glad I finally got back!.

John Miller

Postby John Miller » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Ann

hang in there. It might help next year to close off the side of the martin house facing the neighbor's garage, and just keep the side open to your house.

If you suspect a meth activities, please continue to talk to the police.

whew...I've got annoying neighbors, but not as serious as you descibe. Anyway, I heard a joke that every street has an annoying neighbor. If you don't know yours, you're it! ha.

John M

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Ann
It saddens me to read about your situation,but unfortunately your story seems to be a common one all over this nation.What was once a very nice neighborhood gets overrun with the trash of our country and no one seems to know what to do.From reading your post my opinion is that your in a no win situation,the harder you push the more they harrass and if law enforcement won't deal with the problem then its probably time to go if you can before your health is affected or they escalate their actions.It would be nice if your neighbors new how enjoyable the birds they are killing are to watch and listen to but through the haze of their drugs they will probably never know.My heart goes out to you and i wish you happiness.

Harassmnet of PM's (Shooting and Chemical)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I want to be fair to the police who have responded to my many calls, accepted my tapes and e-mails and who maybe still working on this case. My neighbors and I have dogs. These interfer with covert investigations. I may interfer thinking that dogs barking means more of the same chemical harassment at night instead of the good guys! However, in the beginning--'06 and until '08, no one paid much attention to my complaints except a retired policeman busy in another occupation stating that he would like to investigate it but did not have the time. He did get some of my tapes out for the first time. In ''08, I was given a card from an OCU officer now Lt. who believed me and worked hard to break the case. He was transferred but notified me who would replace him, got a promotion and remained with OCU. There have been dispatched policemen who did not believe me some rude but the majority are the greatest. MPD has hired many new people during the past 2 years, and they are a young and new group.

When you have no support from neighbors, most who can honestly say they have not seen or smelled anything, some days are difficult to face. Even the neurologist would not say that pesticides/chemicals were causing me to lose feeling in my feet and lower legs although all their tests were negative except the tests showing the damage progressing. His reason being that he had patients who had that problem who had never been exposed to chemicals. But, where I failed in sending foliage in for testing was that no test for 2-4D was ever done. All these other pesticides (herbicides/insecticides/fungicides) were on the test but not 2-4D which has to be handled carefully and is tested separately as it is in a class of chemicals (sufoureas) that break down quickly so has to be taken immediately and frozen and kept frozen during shipment and until testing.

Someone questioned why I was blaming the Mexicans, and the answer is because they lived in the house next to me here from early fall 2010 until April 30 and became part of the meth maker's goon squad. I watched one of them bait the song birds with grain and then shoot them. I could not take it so interrupted them to ask "Why are you shooting the song birds?. No answer, but the wife said he would not do it again. It continued. My Martin house was shot with an air rifle which left an indention; a BB (I guess it was.) fell next to me over a 6 foot fence. The birds and bird nest were shot out of the trees that grew in our fence line. This continued until they left; the PM's were added when they came back. This did not stop their friends living on a street that ended 3 house down from us and almost across from the colony across the street. The second week in April when the fledglings from last year came back to that colony, I counted between 25 and 30 birds in the air over me including my 3. Now I count about 15. Some may be on nest but I do not see these fledglings who were so obvious and who came visiiting often. I reported and reported events to the police; I think they were overwhelmed as was I. One young policeman listened to me for 20 or 30 minutes talk about the PM's, how special they are, their history and that they are truly America's bird. He said he would have the men who worked that area late in the day and early in the mornings to be aware of the shooting and talk to these people. Things did begin to quiet down. But, shooting continued until the past week when a friend of the meth maker who had moved into a room across the street moved out, I guess, as I have not seen him lately or heard gun shots over there, probably due to police interference.

I will end this by saying that we all cannot just get up and move. The communities are changing with all the illegal people from many countries being allowed to come across our borders. What should the people in Arizona do? Just move out of Arizona? We have areas where drugs have gotten so bad that the citizens are marching in the streets saying, "We are going to take back our streets." Why did they not stop the problems before they got so bad? Did their neighbors just go in a night, turn on the TV and then go to bed? Why did they not tell the police? Did they not see what is happening around them at night? This is happening here on my street. I am an outdoor person. I see, hear and smell things around me. I ask what is that odor, sound, etc., and why. Where does that person belong? What is that car doing in here--those coming in here belong here or are visiting here usually as 2 streets dead end into here. If we do not take a stand, our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren will inherit chaos and will ask as several dispatchers and even some policemen, "What is a purple martin?" when I would say our PM's are being shot. I bet most of them know now!

KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Postby KathyF » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 pm

It would be kinder of you to take down your purple martin house and quit subjecting your martins to this abuse. It's fine if you want to stay and do battle with your neighbors, but why drag your poor martins into a battle they didn't choose and will most definitely lose?

Take your house down at the end of the season and continue with your battle if you must, but for pete's sake - quit putting your martins at risk! You're just inviting them to be fodder for the neighbor's gun and that's pretty selfish!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Ann,

I agree with Kathy!!! This has been going for years and obviously nothing has changed other than your martins getting killed. Please take your houses down at the end of the season and let it be. As much as I love my martins, if a neighbor would try to kill them or kill them, I certainly would not put the martins at that risk. You would not invite a friend to your house knowing that their health or life is at risk would you?

That is what the martins are...our friends and we need to treat them as such once we invite them into our backyard. Since you or the authorities obviously cannot protect the martins, please let them go to a safer please next season.

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm

On a personal note , it just does not seem right to expect anyone to move from property they own and turn their property over to crooks. What Ann's neighbors are doing is strictly against the law. Law enforcement is most likely afraid of these people or afraid of being accused of discrimination which in my opinion has gotten this great nation in many of the problems we now face. As far as the Purple Martins are concerned, I do agree with others that it would be best to not attract birds to this location as long as the current problem exists.
Keith

Gobbler T

Postby Gobbler T » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:47 am

Ann,
I feel for you and your thug problems. I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do about moving. To give up and let them push you out of your home, or stay and fight for what is rightfully yours, would be a tough call. Understand it's easy to give advice from the sidelines. I personally don't know what I would do in your situation. Being familiar with Memphis, I think that as far down hill as it has gone in the last 20 or so years, the police probably feel like they have much bigger problems than worrying about some birds, and that would be birds of any kind not just martins. I mean with all the crack houses and meth labs there, whats one more.

On another note, have you contacted the local media? They seem to love printing dirt on law enforcement or any other government agency. If you could get it in print, it might be embarrassing, and they don't like to be embarrassed! Ether that or, put in a call to the wildlife agency EVERY single day until they do something. If you worry them enough, they will do something. Try to get them mentioned in the news too!

Just a thought. I wish you the best in your personal war.
Tony

2007 --- 0 2011---0 2015---4
2008 --- 0 2012---0
2009 --- 0 2013---1
2010 --- 0 2014---3

Chriscreole

Postby Chriscreole » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm

If you really want to get to your Neighbors, put up Martin Decoys for them to shoot at, it'll frustrate them and they'll shoot more and you can video them in the act and turn it it to Fish and Game.
PMCA Member since 2010
Super System 24, All Troyer W/Conley 2 entrances.

Harassment of PM's (Shooting and Chemical)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes, I agree, if the Meth Lab is there next year, and I am still able to be in my home, I will not put the house up which means I will never hold a baby Martin again or hear the father's bubbling song from overhead or watch the mother as the day ends make one more effort with that long wing span to clear the roof top or tree ahead of her although the distance between her and the obstacle has lessened as she made those frequent flights away from her babies to bring in one more morsel for those open mouths.

But, I will continue to fight for the right to live in my home which I bought in 1984 unless I become disabled.

Last week I called the police about someone who recently moved into a house where rooms are rented. After he moved in, he begin to shoot at the Martins from the colony across the street. Another "plant" by the meth maker. I should have called sooner, but he no longer is at that house so the police took action. I asked a neighbor who lives next to that colony if he had heard any shooting. He pointed to that house which is on the same side of the street as his house and the colony. I wanted to verify that I had not been in error about where the shots were originating. I wonder if I had not called would it have just continued. It seems that the police respond; as pointed out earlier, the citizens are the problem--do not, will not get involved. Firing guns even BB's cannot be allowed as then you begin to hear constant banging all over of other than just BB's.

The man who has the colony had been away for about 2 weeks and shooting was more frequent during that time--also hawk attacks were frequent. Since many of the males have been killed, I would see one and sometimes two young females pecking those big birds. There are several upset female birds flying around overhead looking and crying for their mates lost by hawlk attack or shooting. I worry that those females will be trying to feed their babies during the coming hot months. The colony owner's return has helped the problem. But, I hear shooting while he is at work. There are several PM houses within a short distance even as close as 2 blocks; I have heard shooting in those directions and guess that the owners are at work. Now that the silencers have been introduced, there may be more than I am hearing on my surveillance audio.

There are 3 babies in my PM house--the 4th egg did not hatch. The parents are very protective, I think, because of the problems here, One will remain at the nest until the other gives a signal that he, she is on the way or they see each other. Then they pass each other a short distance from the door. The male always arrives at the door with a wake up call to attention or greeting to the babies or that is what I think he is doing. Wish there was more written on their behavior and verbalizations.

Don't become too placid in your comfortable surroundings or one day you may find these problems are knocking at your doors.

Thank you and goodby,

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”