Let's be fair................

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Linda Reynolds

Let's be fair................

Postby Linda Reynolds » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 pm

This might be deemed to be confrontational by some, but, I have a question for all Forum participants.

How many of you actually *support* the PMCA? This fabulous forum, and the wealth of information provided by the PMCA has been active for years. For years, I have been a participating member. I am also a dues paying member of the PMCA, and support their work by the minimal dues paid each year. In return, I receive much more than I pay for.

I have been around this block for a very long time........close to 14 or 15 years now, and have read posts from members wanting advice, help, assistance and information, but I wonder if they have ever paid their dues??? (real dues).

Ask yourself each time you post and request a reply why you should continue to expect free information from a non-profit organization or its members. That non-profit organization, in the name of the PMCA, requires funding to make this all happen, and continue to do their good work.

Please support them in the form of a yearly membership. It entitles you to the 4 issues per year of the wonderful UPDATE, and also entitles you to discounts when shopping on their site.

Please consider supporting the organization that supports your hobby/mission, stories, questions, and inquiries. A basic membership only costs $25.00 per year.....Senior membership is only $20.00 per year. The PMCA needs, and is always thankful for your support. Please consider becoming an official member, and not just a Forum poster.

http://purplemartin.org/shop/product_in ... ucts_id=28
Ever-Grateful,
Linda

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reminder Linda! I like straight shooting people:)

Linda Reynolds

Postby Linda Reynolds » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Dan, I usually shoot from the hip.............

However, while my plea to others that participate on this forum is very sincere, if not politically correct, it is a reminder that we need to support our gracious host.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda

Tommie D

Postby Tommie D » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm new here as I only found the PMCA and this fourm about two weeks ago while searching for information on Purple Martins. I did lurk for about a week before I registered for the forum. While lurking I found a wealth of information, so much infact that I decided that $25 for a basic memembership was well worth it so I joined, I got my Thank You card from the PMCA yesterday in the mail.

Tom

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Linda? I take it you're not a "Western History" Buff? Some of the very best and straightest shooting gun slingers shot from the hip :)

Linda Reynolds

Postby Linda Reynolds » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Dan, I am a transplaned New Yorker living in Tn. I am now known as a damn Yankee, because I visited and did not return home.

I still shoot from the hip, but in a New York fashion.............
Ever-Grateful,
Linda

Linda Reynolds

Postby Linda Reynolds » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Tommie D. I am sure the PMCA is very thankful for your support. I am happy to hear that you paid your dues............

I am not on the PMCA's payroll, but just a long time member that thinks we need to pay it back, AND forward.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Dan, I am a transplanted New Yorker living in Tn. I am now known as a damn Yankee, because I visited and did not return home.

I still shoot from the hip, but in a New York fashion.............
LOL! Reminds me about the time my wife and family living in Jamestown, NC many years back. I too was considered a "damn Yankee" About every other day I would hear " Yer knot from round these here parts are yew" :lol: My apologies to any and all NCers if I offended. NC is actually quite a beautiful state and friendly people. The very first time I went to Bojangles to pick up some Blueberry and Cinnamon biscuits, I got to hear the whole life story of the cashier/server before my order came out :lol:

Bob Buskas

Postby Bob Buskas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Linda, you and I are just two of the oldies on this forum and PMCA members. The best 25 bucks I spend every year, thats for sure. OOOPs I didn't mean old just well OK I'll shut up now.
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.

KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Postby KathyF » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Pay my dues every year - bought 2 other memberships for a couple of mentees this year to give away at the 'Open House'.

I would encourage people to give them away as Christmas / Birthday presents. Best quality I've ever gotten for $25.00!!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com

bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Postby bwenger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Linda,

You're absoulutely right. There is so much information available that for a martin landlord this is the best deal around. Just think where purple martins would be today if it wasn't for all of the information gathered by the PMCA and the many landlords that have supported it over the years. Would we still be using tilt poles??

Kathy, nice thought about giving the memberships away at the open house. Have to keep that in mind.

Bill

wyatt

Postby wyatt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 pm

The Update Magazines alone are more than worth the $25.00.
The information and fellowship from the forum and feeling like you are contributing to a cause is worth much more.

Robbo

Postby Robbo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes!!!!
My donation is For the Martin's, going forward in research and cleaning up Bad housing , poor managent and stearing a potential Landlord to a Proper well made house! I have seen too many HOSP infested houses! and TOO many who claim to build a proper Martin House advertise and sell it! Everyone who builds and sells a Martin House is an Expert? PLEASE! BOO!
Rob.
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.

Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Postby Tim Mangan-Kansas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 am

Linda:

I am a dues paying member of the PMCA and make an additional donation to the PMCA each year, when I am able. I would suspect a lot of newcomers think the PMCA provides this forum as a place for martin landlords and wannabe's to ask questions and share stories and that is all.

In at least one of the Update volumns each season, the PMCA will share with it's "members" the activities it is involved with including any grants awarded for the betterment of martins. When reading about the activities the PMCA is undertaking, it doesn't take long for the reader to understand that it takes funding to initiate and continue these projects.

I think it would be a good idea, once or twice throughout the season, for the PMCA to submit a post here on the forum stating all they are involved with to help with the promulgation of martins. Newcomers and non-members who participate on the forum could then see how becoming a "member" not only benefits them by getting quick answers to their questions, but how becoming a dues paying member also helps to further benefit the overall welfare of the martins.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged

SoIndyDon

Postby SoIndyDon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:03 am

Tim said,
"I think it would be a good idea, once or twice throughout the season, for the PMCA to submit a post here on the forum stating all they are involved with to help with the promulgation of martins."

Good idea! Members learn this from the Update magazine, but those only online wouldn't have a clue as to all the PMCA does.
Landlording since 1996 in beautiful southern Indiana.

Don~VA
Martin Colony History: Had a colony many years ago which dwindled over a couple of years and then did not return. Kept trying each year for almost 20 years and finally had a small success in 2011 with two pairs nesting. Colony has grown slowly each year with 22 pairs in 2015. In 2016 my gourd rack of 18 gourds filled up so I added 4 more gourds and then put up a small rack of 6 gourds. All of those were claimed within a few days so I believe I have at least 25 pairs this year.

Postby Don~VA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 am

Very Good Post Linda and not at all confrontational. I too have enjoyed this forum for many years. Can't remember how many of those years was just lurking before I began posting. While I gladly support the PMCA projects with my membership I must admit that I would gratefully just donate the $25 for the pleasure of interacting with all the wonderful people on this forum. The wealth of information and good advice from the members is invaluable.
Don~Northern Neck of Virginia-PMCA Member

jmeyer
Martin Colony History: First martins in 2008. Currently have housing for 36 pairs. Usually get about 28.

Postby jmeyer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks for the reminder. I have a "renewal" card laying on the table at home. Better get the dues mailed off soon.

Bill Hyde

Postby Bill Hyde » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:51 am

Excellent thread, Linda!

Like most participants here (I hope), I am a dues-paying member. I do not recall exactly when I first became a member; but I joined the PMCA Forum on May 8, 2004, and have enjoyed every minute I've spent here.

Keep up the gentle persuasion to encourage users to pay a fair share in financing our organization. Landlords and wannabees invest time and money in their colony setups, and a few dollars each year for PMCA dues is a small price to pay, eh?

Do not fret about being "confrontational" in the tone of your request. Sometimes people need a reminder; other times, a kick in the pants.

:lol:
PMCA member
2011 - 1 SY pair w/ 2 HY fledged
2012 - 5 breeding pairs
2013 - 14 nesting pairs and several singles
2014 - 8 nesting pairs
2015 - 5 nesting prs w/mostly ASY parents

Lenora C

Postby Lenora C » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Linda,
2000 is my first year as a PMCA member, gift from Bill. This site is a very good place.
Lenora

tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Postby tonyg » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 am

Just ordered mine....( slacked off for a few years) :-( and will continue to do so from here on out.. :grin: and Linda you are 150% correct..thanks for reminding me,(and everyone else) what this great organization does for the Martins.. :) .
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”