A long season

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

A long season

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:36 am

Yesterday was 6 months ago that the first martin arrived. We still have 6 pairs that are feeding babies, which is much later than normal. Some years the martins are gone by July 4th. I really don't know the reasons for so many late nesters. Every morning about 75 martins come back to visit, a roost at Stafford Tx is only about 10 to 15 miles away, so that is a short commute. Its funny how the martins usually sit in front of a cavity, probably the ones that they occupied. O well, we are still enjoying them.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Emil,
Did you get some rain the past two weeks or bug supply? I had one late nest and thought the 3 babies fledging last Thursday was it but there is still a fourth one and I hope it is ready to go in a couple of days, also the latest we had martins in 8 years. It is so hot and dry here; I am just very thankful that this late nest made it.
Keep enjoying your martins as long as you can :-)
Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 pm

No, we had less than 2 inches of rain since January, we are about 22inches below average for this year, but it did rain several times near us. I think bugs are plentiful. I checked one nest, it only had 1 baby.

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Hello Emil.

This was a long season. Isn't it wonderful that we get to enjoy these beautiful birds for half the year? And we still have the roost to go to -- to see them begin the next leg of their journey in life.

I just wanted to give you a leg up. We don't see this kind of drought every year. The weather man said this is categorized as a 100 year drought. So, I'm hoping we will not see anything like this again in our lives. I'm just honestly hoping that it won't take a direct hit from a hurricane to knock us out of this cycle.

The past few weeks I have been watching storms in the distance. There have been several towards Sugarland and some towards Santa Fe and quite a few down towards Angleton. But, we haven't been blessed with much rain here at our house.

Thank goodness, the Purple Martins can fly on over there and get cooled off, and catch bugs wherever they can find them. We're grateful for the shade any cloud creates!!

Times will be better for all of us, Emil! I look forward to next year!!

Sincerely,
Laverne
Sincerely,
Laverne

Emil Pampell-Tx

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 am

Well the martins finally fledged, and left the same day. They came on Jan 23, and were still feeding in one nest on Aug 8th, that definitely is the longest season that we ever had. I enjoyed having them that long.

No visitors yesterday, so now I will take down the remaining gourds...

EDIT: 8/12....We still had 2 martins in 2 different nests on 8/11/2011. Thats the longest season that I ever saw. None today on 8/12, so I will take down the gourds today...

EDIT: 8/14...one came back right before dark, made a circle and landed on pole # 4, she kept circling and landing, but I had taken all the gourds down. She finally left. Thats 7 mo, 23 days that they were here
Last edited by Emil Pampell-Tx on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Donnie Hurdt MN

Postby Donnie Hurdt MN » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Glad you had a good long season Emil, what a treat is is to have them for so long. :grin:
My one pair and three young have been gone for some time now but a lone HY started coming in to roost for the past week or so, but the last two nights it hasent showed up. So my season is over too, and I will be taking down housing soon too. Am lookinf forward to going to see a roost later this month too! :)
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”