Shootin HOSP question for you gun toting types

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad-AL

DornCounty wrote:I am new like you have have spent many hours of research on Sparrow and starling control. In general Shooting does little good according to most people.

You have to setup a trap, and typically a repeating trap to make a big dent, especially if you are in an area with an allready sparrow heavy zone.
That completely depends on the amount of HOSP you have to begin with. It's not a blanket statement for everyone. As you said, in a sparrow heavy zone, you must trap. You'll never shoot enough of them to make a dent. I kept up with numbers of trapped HOSP until I got to 300, then I stopped counting. After trapping 300+ in just over a year, I now rarely catch one in a bait trap. I do catch some in nestbox traps, but now shooting is my main control method. There's a sticky post up above with the plans for a pretty good bait trap. :wink:
High quality plastic gourds with porched, tunnelled SREH are Martin magnets.
RC Moser

"handgun that shoots 45 cal" Actually they been around for 20 years or more. One of the first was called THUNDER 5 (TEN. snake gun). Short barreled heavy 5 shot revolver that can shoot 45 long colt, 45/70 Black power, or 4" 410. With the short 2" barrel was for close up home defense. At about 12 feet the long colt or 45/70 slug started to tumble. Being hit by tumbling bullet not fun I would imagaine. Thought the short barrel was good pattern at 7 to 10 feet actually you couldn't miss anybody standing in the door way and if the noise didn't scare the S#$$ out of them the 4 foot fire ball coming out the barrel would surely make them run for there lifes. I used it for snake gun in SE eastern OK. Never missed at 6 feet.
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

We have a Ruger 10 .22 rifle with a red dot scope. Some kind of short ammo of two different kinds. I did notice one touted low noise. We shall see how this goes.

OH...and my one male that scolded me this morning was there tonight checking out different compartments and finally worked his way into one. I do have the SREH entrances. Thank goodness he came back to me.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Brad-AL

Deb, a 10/22 is labelled for 22 Long Rifle only, I think. I imagine it will shoot a 22 short just fine, but you would have to load each one directly into the chamber. I'd check on the shorts before I shot them. I don't have an 22 semi-auto. All my rifles are bolt actions. I doubt a 22 short would cycle a 10/22 and I doubt the ammo I posted in the link above will either. Aguila does offer a subsonic load that will cycle the 10/22. It is loaded with a 60 grain bullet. It is a very accurate round also.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Fortunatly I still have my 20 ga shotgun that i blast the S&S with. I can access a window from my bathroom and they land on the power lines alot and its easy pickens..but yesterday as a starling flew off the rack I was getting a bead on him I pulled the trigger jsut as he flew by my security pole light..long story short, dead starling, broken pole light :oops: sure is dark around here at night..till Monday.. :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Brad - it does shoot them. The 10/22 is a semi auto due to the big bad looking 25 round clip thing and I don't have to chamber one each time. It's ready to pull the trigger, excuse me...squeeze the trigger, and away I go. Unlike the 22 of late Uncle Carl that would be a load each time, doesn't have a scope, but is extremely accurate once I figure out the sighting bit. So yeah, I did grin when I saw this semi auto mag set up. Also the cute little scope light, excuse me I was corrected earlier...red dot.

I didn't fire it last night because Mr. Martin was on the house and checking out entrances and I didn't want to risk shaking him up right then. No matter how "quiet". There's always tomorrow morning (well later this morning..I'm up on a dog let out run).

I'll start using my house trap today. Some people post they don't leave it. What is too long to leave it? Overnight not good if it caught the martin? I figure other than stressing it'd been in the house all night anyway. All day too long? Leave for work in the morning home after 5:30pm? I could drive home for lunch I guess. What's a little sparrow homicide to lift you in the middle of the work day.

ADDENDUM:
Brad - you are right it does not shoot the shorts. Miss-communication between my spouse and I (either he didn't say or I didn't listen, it's probably one of the two...). Only long in the semi auto with the cool clip. Shorts will be for single load, which I call Uncle Carl's to keep them straight. Have a good Sunday!

Deb
Last edited by DebA on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
DebA

Tony,
That's some good work there! You got it, didn't you? Ha! We all get each others' fervor for these little migrating birds, but after this string I have a new vision in my mind of all the landlords that hang out a window of their house and shoot various weapons! Hilarious.
Deb
Brad-AL

Deb, "Unlce Carl" would be the better of the two to shoot HOSP with, if it only had a scope. I doubt I could hit a HOSP at 40 yards without a scope. Would "uncle Carl" happen to be a Remington 510? Most of those old single shot bolt action 22's are absolute tack drivers.

Yes squeeze the trigger, don't pull it. :lol:
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

RC Moser wrote:"handgun that shoots 45 cal" Actually they been around for 20 years or more. One of the first was called THUNDER 5 (TEN. snake gun). Short barreled heavy 5 shot revolver that can shoot 45 long colt, 45/70 Black power, or 4" 410.
They make a 4" .410 shell?

Yeah I know all about the background of those firearms. I had a friend that had a Thunder Five. It was simply too big and clunky. But at the time it was a cool concept.

Taurus really did a good job with making the combination work well. Now S&W is in the business with this type of handgun as well. I never thought this style would catch on as it has.

I'm one of those "gun nuts" people are always poking fun at :)

Back to rimfires- check out Savage's bolt action rimfire line. They make some superb rifles and they are capable of shooting dime size groups at 50 yards. They make an incredible trigger, on the Mark II line.

I was shooting a Savage not long ago with a Leaper's scope and "plain jane" ammo. At 35 yards I cut a ragged little hole in a paper target - this is really good considering the rifle was about 300 bucks.

This forum almost needs a gun subforum... the subject of shooting comes up so much. :)
~Ray~Gingerich

I think placement of your trap has a lot to do with it's success, I have 3 boxes retrofitted with Spar-0-doors and placed in several locations around my site, one of them seems to be in "that perfect spot" as I have caught many sparrows in it. The other boxes are made up the same way but not much success catching sparrows. With a combination of a little shooting and that one perfectly placed trap the sparrows don't last very long.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
RC Moser

They make a 4" .410 shell? Hit wrong key and didn't catch it 2 3/4" or 3".
I agree thunder 5 wasn't meant to be packing around. Was strickly bedroom home defense weapon and it you couldn't hit them you could use it as hammer and bash their heads in :shock: . Didn't have to worry about missing with the .410 shot load somebody coming down the hallway. Ready don't have the energy with the short barrel. IMO barrel should of been 4" minimum. But it was cheap cast design at the time with loose tolerances so it wouldn't blow up in your hand shooting the 45/70, which by the way shot out 5 foot flame and unburnt power! eek.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

RC Moser wrote:...shooting the 45/70, which by the way shot out 5 foot flame and unburnt power! eek.
Yeah, kinda like shooting .357 loads out of a snub nose I guess.

Still, the T5 was kind of cool at the time. And that safety- Was weird to see that on a revolver.
dancingirl76

I agree that shooting the HOSPs keeps it a little less personal than trapping them and then having to "dispose" of them. It seems more humane for some reason too because when I have trapped them they are frantic and then.... I also agree with the poster that sometimes changing what birds you feed in the spring/summer helps too. I feed mostly sunflower seed still though because I love keeping the cardinals around and the rose breasted grosbeaks. I also agree that if the HOSPs come to the feeder it can give you a controlled area to shoot them at. I don't like shooting while they are on the house/rack too afraid I would damage the house or hit a PM but when I have shot HOSPs who are sitting on a fence near the pole... the PMs hardly cared. Most never even left the house.
I use a .22 with a scope and it is pretty deadly. I have noticed a big decrease in the number of HOSPs this winter too. During winter I moved my feeder closer to the house (at the front window for my two cats' pleasure) and haven't even had any HOSPs at it other than one female a month ago. So far so good- but I have the gun ready and waiting for the little suckers!
Good shooting all!
dancingirl76
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

My only problem with. 22 is the ricochet of the bullet if it hits metal..and distance traveled.
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Brad-AL

TonyG wrote:My only problem with. 22 is the ricochet of the bullet if it hits metal..and distance traveled.
Those are both reasons that I shoot the subsonic loads. 38 grain bullet travelling at 1050 fps. The main reason I shoot it is accuracy, but it has other benefits.
BumBee

DebA,
I use an air rifle when the need to shoot sparrow or starling. I shoot from a blind 50 feet away
from my two poles. I placed this blind so that I have my next door neighbor’s giant oak tree
for the back stop. I can only shoot to the direction of this oak tree from behind the blind.
I don’t let my neighbor’s see me shooting sparrows and starlings.

I have three traps, a homemade NBT (tipping can design) and two PMCA repeating baited
traps. I placed one on the bottom of a homemade cage that houses 4 live sparrows. The
Other is on top.
I keep food, water, sand and housing for the 4 sparrows. I have seen the caged sparrows call in
Other sparrows and within 10 to 15 minutes, they’re inside the PMCA repeating baited traps.

Since I am limited with the shooting, I rely on my traps throughout the year.

Good sparrow/starling hunting.
~Ray~Gingerich

A car or truck makes a good shooting blind, birds are used to seeing vehicles and don't pay much attention.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair

DebA wrote:I've never been able to kill any animals. I figure they all do their thing. Until last summer.

Deb
I used to feel exactly the same way, until I bought a cheap air rifle from Walmart and started learning to shoot. Admittedly, the first kill was a little emotionally difficult, as I am a birder at heart, and I don't even kills spiders and snakes. :lol:

I've since become an avid airgun shooter and collector, and I love the challenge of shooting sparrows and starlings off my martin houses. I don't love killing things- it's just something that needs to be done due to the agressive nature of these invasive bird species.
Tom and Shelley

DebA,
My wife and I laughed out butts off at your post! I have been using a pellet pistol for two years now and have done nothing but put a lot of lead in the air. Those little peckers are hard to hit, so I am doing research into a rifle. Last year, the martins did not seem to mind too much about the pellets wiz'n by their houses, cause they saw I couldn't hit anything anyway, so they probably felt safe!!
Good luck,
Tom
DebA

Well, I have been target practicing with the Uncle Carl .22 single load with shorts. Getting better. It's much lighter than the Ruger 10/22 with red dot scope, so I like that part better. Uncle Carl's has the feel of an old rifle with its bolt action levers and that seems kinda cool. It's not this old...but it makes me feel like I'm right out of a scene in The Patriot. My daughter said now all I need is a creek and a hatchet.

My universal trap came. I placed it into one of my houses (which are the S&K 12 compartments (converted to 6) on their tri-tel pole. I've drilled the pole and bolted it for sturdiness but left the plastic buttons too. Every time I raised the house there was enough movement or jerkiness that would spring the trap. That was frustrating.

My one lone male ASY is still here and I was able to place a handwarmer into the compartment he goes into. I watched him go in and I felt as if I had offered hospitality to a guest in my home. Enjoy little man! It's going to be upper 40's tonight. He'd live but being alone and all I figured I give him a treat.

Deb

Oh Liz, a couple of summers ago I started rescuing bugs from the inside of my house. Really didn't know why all of a sudden to give them a chance I guess. A friend of mine's mother said, "Why not?". I've gone full circle, now I shoot at HOSP and have frozen crickets in my freezer.
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR