Cold, wet weather, Feeding and sub-adults arriving (Pics)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

It has been a really crappy day here today - cold, wet, windy, foggy and just downright dreary. My martins started knocking on the feeding tray this evening.
The only good thing to come out of this is the sub-adults that came to the tray are also learning to feed (when the males aren't whomping on them) from the tray.

New Sub-adult arrivals huddling on the house for warmth - there are at least 6 or 7 on the porches tonight as I type. I don't have the heart to scare them out into the rain. They're behind the caging, so hopefully, it's true what they say - owls won't hunt in the rain?

More sub-adults - they're lobbying me to build a fire in the yard.

This guy was the first one to arrive at the railing - who could turn down that sad, pitiful look?

Hard to tell who is new in this crew, but pretty sure bet, none of them are happy with this weather.

The sub-adult male (cricket in his mouth in the back) is learning from the adults...but about to get whomped on by the female flaring her wings.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Bob Buskas

Kathy this is a great post, thanks for sharing it with us. Sometimes it takes bad weather for us landlords to learn, and also the sub adults. Yes, the subbies do learn from the more experienced adults, your colony will be fine thanks to you! :wink:
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

I'm feeling ur pain her in Ks!!! Weather sucks!!
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!