Staging area, Stafford, TX

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
JeanS
Martin Colony History: 2002 -Coates metal houses- about 18 pairs
2005 - Added a gourd rack- many more pairs
2007 - Added another gourd rack, gave the Coates houses away
2008-2015 - Experimented with many gourds & a few racks (its a sickness) fledged over 200 chicks/year. Hubby keeps records, not me. :-)
2016 - 64 gourds and expect most will be occupied

Hi everyone,

Most of our chicks have fledged. We are down to just 3 gourds with young. As usual, there were a few pairs that got a late start with nesting. Our season is almost done.

About a week ago, I noted that few PMs were roosting in the gourds. So last night I drove to 11375 Fountain Lake Dr Stafford TX 77477-3707, which is where they have been staging and roosting before they migrate. I got there before sunset and I was rewarded with the joy of watching thousands of PMs swirling in the sky. They are again roosting in the oaks immediately in front of Sports Authority.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the last part of our 2015 time with the purple martins. I wonder if I saw some of your colony last night in Stafford. I like to think some of mine were there and saw me standing in the parking lot smiling.
Jean S
2002 - Coates metal houses- about 18 pairs
2005-2007 - added a gourd rack, then another gourd rack = many more pairs
2008-2015 - Experimented with many gourds & a few racks (its a sickness) fledged over 200 chicks/year
2016 - 64 gourds and expect most will be occupied
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Thanks Jean, I have been watching them on radar recently, and knew that they were somewhere in that area. Thanks for the address.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps