RUNT BABY

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
pmlover

Another first for me. I found a runt on the grounds twice and I knew it would make it if I left it on the ground but this time of the year there are either empty houses of babies as big as mommy and daddy or bigger. I know the runt went into one of the empty house but I didn't know which one . I put him in a house with two larger babies which killed me to do. I just hope the two larger one s leave in the next couple days. I love my birds but its hell and love at the same time.
Dick
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Dick:
Sometimes this works, but not always. The 2 larger ones make block the smaller chick from getting fed. You should try to check on him every day or two & check his abdomen for wrinkled skin. It's a sign of dehydration/caused by lack of food. Also a keel bone that is sticking out & sharp is a sign of lack of food.

Caring for Martins is not easy due to all the losses. It's hard to open a house & find them dead or dying. This year was especially bad due to the weather. There were huge losses, especially in the Northern states. However the joy is seeing them take that first flight & join in with the colony soaring the skies :).

I had a group from a local Audubon chapter visit. 2 of the 10 that came decided being a Purple Martin landlord was not for them. Many assume you stick a house up & that's it. NOT!! It takes a dedicated person to be a Purple Martin landlord.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
LoisG
Martin Colony History: New - just set out gourds today, May 4th, 2017. We had several purple Martins looking over the place this morning then left in the afternoon. Why?

Thank you for your respond to questions I value your experience. I am a new landlord and have 2 gourds. The parents are subadults. One Gourd has 6 nestlings and one egg. The issue is one of the nestlings is a runt, much smaller than the others.
Can I feed it?
I called the wildlife refuge in RI and they wouldn’t take it.
Huge Thanks
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

LoisG wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am
Thank you for your respond to questions I value your experience. I am a new landlord and have 2 gourds. The parents are subadults. One Gourd has 6 nestlings and one egg. The issue is one of the nestlings is a runt, much smaller than the others.
Can I feed it?
I called the wildlife refuge in RI and they wouldn’t take it.
Huge Thanks
What age are the chicks?

Toy in PA
PMCA Member