Entire clutch did not hatch

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi everyone,

I did a nest check yesterday and I have one clutch of eggs (6) that did not hatch. The parent birds are still bringing leaves and covering them but they should have hatched about a week ago. Has anyone ever experience this before? What could have happened?

Brent
Spiderman

I would leave them alone. Incubation may have started later than you thought.

If they are mature enough to lay 6 eggs, they should know what they're doing.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
brent

Excellent. I didn't think about that. Thanks, Spiderman.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Count 26 days from the day the last egg was laid. I usually give a few extra days. If they haven't hatched by then they are duds. A cold snap could have damaged them or they weren't fertile. Happens a lot with SY's.

You can try removing them & hope they relay. Some will, some won't. Depends on the time frame.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
brent

Thanks Toy. That gives me a few more days. Great information!
John Miller

If the weather turns cool early in the first few days of incubation, they sometimes cease and resume later, delaying hatching time. How it's possible to start and stop is a mystery to me, and I don't know how far along into the incubation process it's possible to put the process on hold.
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

I've had eggs hatch a couple of weeks after projected hatch date. I thought for sure they were bad eggs but sure enough they hatched.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
sssSMOKING
Martin Colony History: >>>>>>>>
2020 > 20 pairs, 39 Fledged
2019 > 20 pairs, 92 Fledged
2018 > 15 pairs, 39 Fledged
2017 > 12 pairs, 43 Fledged
2016 > 9 nesting pairs, 25 Fledged
2015 > 5 nesting pairs, 23 Fledged
2014 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 Fledged
2013 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 fledged
2012 > Several Lookers

Yes it happened to me. She remained on the nest for 3+ extra weeks . The male stayed there and was busy bringing leaves in. I had a camera in the gourd so I could see everything going on. Finally one day the female was gone. She never came back, the male stayed around any left with the other martins. I removed the eggs one day after she left.
Some things we have no control over. Keep us posted.
Richard
Low~n~Slow that's sssSmoking
Brad Biddle

I just checked a nest where only one of five hatched. It’s one of the earliest nests. Maybe a cold snap hurt the hatch or the rain we had caused extended feeding trips which kept the female off the nest too long. Not sure
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 162 plastic gourds with tunnels, all with Conley II entrances with the Lewis modification. I have 24 Supergourds and the rest are Troyer Horizontals.
brent

Just wanted to update everyone on the clutch in B4 that did not hatch. I did a nest check today and thought for sure they would have hatched by now but much to my surprise they did not. In fact, when I opened the box mom was on the eggs AND there are now 7 eggs instead of the 6 I consistently counted since the 29th of April (which involved 5 nest checks). What do you all think of that? Is it possible that she wasn't finished laying or is laying a 2nd clutch? I won't be checking again for another 6 days since I have a box next to this one that is ready to fledge. Let me know your thoughts, please.

Brent
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

brent wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:01 pm
Just wanted to update everyone on the clutch in B4 that did not hatch. I did a nest check today and thought for sure they would have hatched by now but much to my surprise they did not. In fact, when I opened the box mom was on the eggs AND there are now 7 eggs instead of the 6 I consistently counted since the 29th of April (which involved 5 nest checks). What do you all think of that? Is it possible that she wasn't finished laying or is laying a 2nd clutch? I won't be checking again for another 6 days since I have a box next to this one that is ready to fledge. Let me know your thoughts, please.

Brent
The birds I mentioned above were a SY pair. Here are my nestcheck records.

May 6-9: 4 eggs
May 19: 5 eggs
May 21: 6 eggs
May 23: 7 eggs

So you can see she took a 10 day break between egg #4 and egg #5. She also paused a day Between egg #5 and 6 and egg #6 and 7.

June 5: 1 young
June 7: 5 young
June 11: 6 young (and one egg that never hatched)

So there was a big range in ages for this nest. These birds caused me all kinds of grief last year. I hope your clutch goes smoothly.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
brent

I'll keep a close check on this one. I am so puzzled.
brent

Hi everyone. I just wanted to update you on today's nest check of compartment #4. Today there were 10 eggs. As I mentioned before, for several nest checks there were 6 eggs and I was puzzled because they were predicted to hatch on May 12th. The next check, there were 7 and now 10. I suspect that something happened to the female of the original clutch of 6 eggs so they were not incubated and consequently did not hatch. In the mean time the male may have found another mate and so a 2nd clutch of 4 was laid in the nest where there were already 6 eggs. What do you think? I am curious to hear your thoughts.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

brent wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:04 pm
Hi everyone. I just wanted to update you on today's nest check of compartment #4. Today there were 10 eggs. As I mentioned before, for several nest checks there were 6 eggs and I was puzzled because they were predicted to hatch on May 12th. The next check, there were 7 and now 10. I suspect that something happened to the female of the original clutch of 6 eggs so they were not incubated and consequently did not hatch. In the mean time the male may have found another mate and so a 2nd clutch of 4 was laid in the nest where there were already 6 eggs. What do you think? I am curious to hear your thoughts.
If one of the parents is an SY then the eggs may not have been fertile, or they got damaged in a cold snap, so she laid a new clutch. It's highly doubtful a new female would lay eggs in a nest that already had eggs in it.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
brent

Thanks Toy. Very interesting. I'll watch closely. This will be the last of the hatchlings. Well into summer.
brent

Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know what happened with the 10 eggs in nest #4. Originally there were 6 eggs but they did not hatch. Then an additional 4 were laid. Today I have 4 young and 6 eggs (the original ones that did not hatch). The proud parents have been dutifully feeding the chicks. It's going to be a late fledging since all the other nest have fledged or will in a day or two. The hatchlings are 4 days old. This has been an interesting experience. Thanks for all the replies to my post.

Brent
ToyinPA

brent wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know what happened with the 10 eggs in nest #4. Originally there were 6 eggs but they did not hatch. Then an additional 4 were laid. Today I have 4 young and 6 eggs (the original ones that did not hatch). The proud parents have been dutifully feeding the chicks. It's going to be a late fledging since all the other nest have fledged or will in a day or two. The hatchlings are 4 days old. This has been an interesting experience. Thanks for all the replies to my post.

Brent
Sounds like her first clutch were all bad & she re-laid. Many will not re-lay & others will, so you were lucky this pair did.

I just realized I made a typo on my previous post. It's 16 days from last egg laid to hatch,not 26, all tho some may take a few extra days.

Fledging usually begins around day 26 from hatch & again some may take a few extra days. I've had some take 30 days.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
barbiejoe

Hey, Brent: This year we had a lot of cooler than usual days. I had a nest that I checked and it was a couple of days late. I worried about it, as I have not had that in my short experience. The next week the eggs were hatched. I was thankful and amazed. I figured maybe the consistent colder weather made them develop slower.
barbiejoe
After 3 years, I gave up and put two gourds out, hoping to get other birds to nest. I did. Had one pair of tree swallows and ONE pair of purple martins. The PM had 4 hatchlings. One died in the nest and one was found on the ground two days running and died that night. Two flew successfully.