Garden interest

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Could be they are gathering mud to use for mud dams.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
barbiejoe

Thanks for your answers Rafke77 and everyone else. I did notice that at least two of my gourds have a levee in them. I've not see that before. However, it was orange like clay and my garden is black dirt.
I guess any smart bird would hunt where there were bugs.
By the way, I had a good experience today. I have kept records since 2016 and never picked up a bird to figure out how old it was. Today I decided to do it. It was great. All the birds held still, let me pick them up and behaved well while Joe and I tried to decide which pix they matched. I'm sure when I left and their mom came back, they were really anxious to tell her about their adventure. "Mommmmm! Guess what? That Person picked me up and took me out into the air and sun. Wow!"
It is really hard to count the birds in the gourds. Several times I counted twice and finally had to reach in and feel around. My openings are on the back and they are hard to see into. I have inexplicably lost several babies this year. Never have seen any upset parents. I don't have owl guards, but I have tunnels which make it hard to reach the babies. Never have lost so many.
Always something new to figure out. Have a good week everyone! Barbiejoe
After 3 years, I gave up and put two gourds out, hoping to get other birds to nest. I did. Had one pair of tree swallows and ONE pair of purple martins. The PM had 4 hatchlings. One died in the nest and one was found on the ground two days running and died that night. Two flew successfully.