Late laying eggs

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jasalva

I live in Delaware and probably have all cavities on two racks occupied. I have 24 gourds. I have done 2 nest checks and have 1 egg. This is behind for me and a neighbor in the next development who also has 2 full racks. Has anyone else noticed this in our area?
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

I can't speak to Delaware, but here in Southwestern Pa. they are very late laying. We had a terrible spell of weather early in May and a lot of Martins perished. The remainder seem to be way behind in nest building, and egg laying.

Good Luck for the remainder of the season.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

I can speak for the Memphis, TN area. Migration of all purple martins is delayed this year, especially SY martins.
There are still new SY martins migrating through this area that have not even started building nest much less laying eggs.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
brent

Hi everyone,
I live in south Louisiana and have already had many nestlings fledge. Currently have 3 late nesters with chicks approaching fledgling age. But, not seen before, I have (what appears to be) a new group of nesting birds. A just recent nest check revealed newly laid eggs and new nest building. Interesting development since June generally marks the end of the season. Don't know why.

Brent
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Put up 3 poles in April. New beginner here. SY showed up yesterday w 2 others I. Couldn't identify and 2 showed up and stopped by around 730 this morning. New but I'd guess its all about the weather. Spring just showed up here in the last week. Almost like Summer today. 2020 continues to be one strange year in many ways.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
terrapincove
Martin Colony History: Well established 90 cavity colony. Mostly plastic gourds with some custom cedar houses atop pilings out over the river. We live stream the activity on our website https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8

We are on the Maurice River. The Maurice is brackish and tidal. It meets the Delaware bay about three miles down at East Point, NJ. The area is remote and consists of dense marshland and swamp. Dragonflies abound.

Swallows arrive in mid August and finish nesting mid July. There is a large annual roost in mid August upriver a few miles at Mauricetown.

Late egg laying here at Terrapin Cove in Southern New Jersey.

First eggs came this week even though the martins arrived on time in late March.

That means they took all of April and May delaying.

If it is hot this summer like usual for these parts they may wish they started in the cold spring.

Good luck Purple Martin Landlords.

Terrapin Cove

Always Live https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8