Martin banding

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Hey everyone I just spoke to a master bird bander he advised me that he will be stopping by my PM colony next Monday to band some of my young Martins. I have 26 cavities with eggs and young birds. I’m hoping he will be able to band the birds that will be hatching later down the road. He is 1 of only about 100 master banders in the USA that are certified to band even hummingbirds. I fill very fortunate to have him liveIng so near by here in E. Tennessee. I will give an update on how many we get banded next Monday. Also was able to get home made PM rack put up at my brothers house with 6 Bo9s. Maybe he will get some off my young birds next year if he is lucky. Have a great season everyone. God bless
Spiderman

You should feel fortunate!

Master Banders are hard to find, I've tried to get Martins banded for years with no success.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

I’m am filling very fortunate. Very blessed that he will take the time to do this for me. Years ago my wife setup a secret birthday party for me at his house To take part in a hummingbird banding that he does at his house. It was great getting to help him on those tiny birds. But to have him come to my colony is awesome. And I’m hoping that the new colonies that my young birds start the landlord can track them back to my colony. I do realize that less than 2% of my young may return to my colony. But just the thought of knowing that they made it back is really nice.
Diane Porter

How do you find a person licensed to band birds?
Diane Porter
Fairfield, Iowa
jhcox

Hey Diane you would have to look on line in the state that you live in. And some time you can check with wildlife sanctuaries as well as bird watching sanctuaries. They usually have yearly banding at those sights maybe they could get you a couple of numbers. I hope you fined someone. Have good season everyone. God bless
jhcox

Well we completed the baby Martin banding today we were able to band 20 young Martins today. The master bander will be back next week to band the birds that were to small to band on this trip. So in some way I really hope that this helps in the research of these birds in the future. Maybe next year one of these banded birds will start someone’s new colony and they may be able to track it back to my colony. Have a great season everyone.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Diane,
Here is one of our bird banders in our state.
Licensed bird bander Bob Van Ersvelde, a Grinnell resident who has over 23 years of experience.
Hopefully this will help. Keep in mind that conditions must be met in order for birds to be banded. It is my way of saying that they just don't do it because we want them to. Not to discourage you from trying, just saying that the purposes of banding goes beyond why we think they should be banded.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
jhcox

Good answer Dave. A master bander doesn’t just come out to your house and band the birds for the sake of doing it. It’s research that help them track and keep up with the birds numbers and health. The master bander that came to my colony today also brought two park rangers from a near by wildlife sanctuary called Seven Island state park. They assisted in the banding and also came to get ideas on how to better maintain there martins and ideas on PM racks that will lower and raise easily. So I hope this helps you in some way. God bless
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Sounds great. Good to hear that they are doing nice research and getting new ideas. It helps everyone all around.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.