Nest check today 6/27/20

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

All is quiet at the Whippy colony today so I decided to do a nest check knowing I wouldn't have any jumpers since they all left.

I have 11 pairs in my gourd rack. Of those 11 pairs, 9 pairs had 44 fledgelings and of those 11 pairs I have two pair with late babies, 3 all pink and 4 pink and black.

In my Trio Wade I have two pair each with 4 babies who are all the same age.

Photos of all babies mentioned: Note. One photo has only 2 babies the other two are in the adjoining compartment of the Trio.
Attachments
Gourd 16 Babies.jpg
Gourd 16 Babies.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Gourd 14 babies.jpg
Gourd 14 babies.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Trio West 2 babies.jpg
Trio West 2 babies.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Trio East 4 babies.jpg
Trio East 4 babies.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 495 times
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

nice job Whippy, your colony is steadily growing! 8)
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Keg,

I was hoping to at least double from last year and was happy to have more than doubled from 4 pair to 11 pair in my gourds. I have two SY pair raising their young now and this morning I noticed two ASY males occupying gourds that have been empty all season. They are going in and out with SY females as if it is Spring and they just arrived. Although a bit late here I doubt they will nest however, they won't get frozen out for several months so who knows. I'll obviously keep an eye on them.

With your two pair having been successful I would expect you to realize even higher occupancy next year. Now that you have been through one season, you can use the winter months to improve and/or expand on your current colony. I have plans to add 6 more gourds and a perch system on top of my S&K pole topper/pulley. I'm going to add 6 Troyer Vertical gourds and remove some gourds that have never been used in the 6 years they've been hanging. My S&K rack is set up with 16 gourds. I added two S&K BO 11 Plus gourds on the inside of the hangers and have room for 6 more. All I gotta do is move a few around.

Martin season really never ends. :grin:

You should be seeing a lot of visitors before they all migrate South again. These may return to claim residence next year. Every morning I have between 8 and 20 visitors socializing on the gourd rack so I may be in for a nice increase next year.

Good luck to you and enjoy the off season.

Coolwhips

Here's my current rack set up. Notice the two S&K BO 11 Plus gourds on the inside of the Troyers. These were selected and occupied right away. I'll be adding 4 more of these and adding 6 Troyer Horizontals on the outside rim. I may also reinforce my Trio Wade to accept 4 gourds hanging below --- one on each corner.

Sorry for the rambling. My mind starts racing with ideas and I like to share to hopefully give others ideas as I know I get a lot of ideas from others here.
Attachments
gourdrackevening.jpg
gourdrackevening.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 466 times
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged