Troyer H. Gourds.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ladybug
Martin Colony History: 2005-2019. Lots lookers, 2 successful nesting's.
2010- 1 pair nested,eggs destroyed(Wren).
2012- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2019- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged.

I have 2 New Troyer Horizontal gourds this year, do nests get wet during heavy rainy days?
Martin's are nesting in 1 Troyer.
Thanks.
Joanne
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

LadyBug,

It all depends on how you hang them. If there is a gap between the hanger within the mounting holes of the gourd it is possible for water to leak in. I use the same gourds and have not yet had any wetness problems as my mounts fit very snugly into the holes of the gourds. I also try to incorporate a low point so the water will wick away from the mount rather than wick into the mount.

As for a rain entering the entrance of the gourd. A little will get in if the wind is favorable in that direction but the water will wick down the inside of the gourd and out of the drain holes. This is why using pine needles is good because they don't soak up water thats under neath them as readily as other materials.

Heres how I mounted my Troyers.

Coolwhips
Attachments
troyer mount closeup2.jpg
troyer mount closeup2.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 955 times
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
Ladybug

Whippy,
I use only pine needles, 1 gourd just slightly tilts
forward, 1 is level, both secure.
They will be OK. Thanks.
Joanne
Spiderman

I changed over to these gourds over the last 5 years, 82 gourds in all.

In my experience they are the best gourds you can offer. What Whippy said is true, there may be a small amount of water come in the entrance in a wind blown rain but it will drain quickly and not damage the nest.

But they offer safety from Hawks and owls. Because of the larger cavities this year we had 2 gourds successfully raise 7 Fledglings and many others had 6 fledge.

Mites are very easy to see on the white background and will usually be visble when you unscrew the viewing cap. I like the size of the porches when the Fledglings are just learning to take off and land.

Our fledgling numbers have really increased since changing over to the Horizontal Gourds.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
TheSmiths
Martin Colony History:

Tried to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014.

2018 — 3 pairs: 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio; 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the gourd multi-rack.

2019 — 6 pairs

2020 — In progress

Current housing consists of two modified Trio M12Ks at 20' and a round gourd rack at 20'.

We've also provided housing for bluebirds, Carolina wrens, house wrens, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, great-crested flycatchers and northern flickers for ~15 years.

We had problems with Troyer horizontal gourds leaking around the hanging hole even though they were hung on Troyer hanging arms and fit tightly. I purchased PMCA "leak guards" and sealed them with Lexel but they stilled leaked. (I found out later Lexel does not adhere properly to the kind of plastic the gourds are made from). Prior to the beginning of this season I purchased the "Four-piece Gourd-life Enhancement Kit" and installed them and they've kept things dry thus far.
Ladybug

Thanks everyone for all your Advice. Much appreciated. I have several large round factory gourds but the Martin's DEFINITELY Prefer the Troyer Horizontal Gourds. I like them best too.
THANKS .
Joanne
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Ladybug,
I hope this topic helps with your questions about wet, leaking Troyer Horizontal Gourds.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34828
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.