Anyone help with IDing this house

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
white-out

We took a drive to southern Ohio and saw a driveway blower and a bunch of other stuff at the curb. I turned around ask them how much they wanted for the blower and they said everything is free. So, I gab this house also thinking it could be converted into a HOSP trap. Is it worth fixing up and modifying for Martin use? Thanks for any help, Doug
DSC02103.jpeg
DSC02103.jpeg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
]! Doug
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Doug,
I would defer to the knowledge of Matt F. - Trio Jedi Master. It is not a Trio Grandma because it does not have the capacity for a Trio pole system through the middle of the house. Maybe Matt F. will know if there was a Trio "Musselman-like house" with the Trio Grandma configuration. Since I like to restore and reconfigure vintage houses to modern double compartment, the answer is YES! Fix it up.
Straighten out the bent parts, convert to double compartments, close off the round hole for nesting compartment, install SREH doors on the entrance compartment, install on pole and watch the purple martins move in. I prefer the side by side double compartment arrangement rather than the straight through double compartment. Side by side takes longer because the house has to be completely taken apart to drill the 3" holes. It does not matter to me because I replace all of the old steel bolts with stainless steel bolts and nuts.
I have thought about adding another deck to my Trio Grandma to make a Triple Decker but Trio Grandma's are harder to find. When I find one, the owner will not part with it. The martin landlords like them too much because the purple martins like them.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
white-out

Hey Mark, can you explain the side by side modification? You know your stuff because it has the steel nuts an bolts.

It's my first year with 2 nesting SY pair and would like to attract more next year. I will fix it up with the hope of more housing options=more nesting pairs. My concern would be the telescoping pole........thanks, Doug
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Doug,
On side by side double compartment, the 3 inch hole is drilled into the center wall between two compartments. The purple martins must make a 90 degree turn to enter the nesting compartment of their double compartment. It is impossible for a predator to look into the nesting compartment and virtually impossible for the predator to reach into the nesting compartment.
On straight through or front to back double compartment, the 3 inch hole is drilled in the back wall between two compartments. The purple martins enter straight back to the nesting compartment. It is easier for a predator to see into the back nesting compartment.
If you have effective pole predator guard, it is generally understood that this discussion pertains to a hawk or owl peering into and/or reaching into the nesting compartment.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

Doug,
I use a Double Face Soft Hammer to straighten out bend and kinks in these aluminum houses. I buck the other side with a hardwood block. That way I do not lose the crinkling effect on the roof and floors or leave pock marks on the smooth metal surfaces.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-12- ... /202183882
If some of the smaller holes are where someone shot through the aluminum metal, I carefully bend back the edges of the hole and close the holes. Worse case, a little epoxy completely seals the remnants of the bullet hole.
Any mildew on the crinkle finished aluminum is easily cleaned with a Magic Eraser.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
white-out

I think I found it...Coates 3 story.

If some of the smaller holes are where someone shot through the aluminum metal, I carefully bend back the edges of the hole and close the holes.

Mark, it looks like paint drops so much easier fix! Thanks much for the great info, Doug

Just witnessed a house wren acting like it's going in the horizon gourd with 13 day old martins...should I be concerned?
4th Gen Martin Fan

Doug,
I still feel that a Coates house is worth refurbishing.
I do not know if Trio doors will fit on a Coates. You could close off the round holes for the nesting compartments with aluminum flashing and pop rivets. Entrance hole plates with SREH of your choice could cover the round holes.
As you previously pointed out, the most expensive part would be a pole system to mount the house on.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
white-out

Hey, I disassembled the Coats 3 story and have a few question. When cutting out the 3" hole connecting the 2 cavities, should the bottom arc be level with the floor or have a step up? If up, how high from the floor? Should I have a removable base insert of some sort or just pine straw on the galvanized floor? Also, what would you recommend for change the round entrance hole.
Thanks much, Doug
white-out

Got it done.........Thanks any who! Doug
4th Gen Martin Fan

Doug,
Sorry I missed your post.
Definitely raised above the floor level. I started out 1/2" above the floor but realized that the martins make a nest about 1/2" above the the floor and then eggs and small nestlings can roll out of the nest. So I had to add something to elevate the bottom of the hole 1" above the flooring. Now I do not worry about eggs and small nestlings rolling out of the nest and dying.
That was a circumstance when I realized my mistake and had to correct the problem during the nesting season. Never again.
I would highly recommend the removable nest insert to raise the nest above the porch level for either a Trio/Nature House or Coates housing. Without the raised nest insert, rain seeps under the door and even the pine needle nest gets wet.
Below is a picture of my mistake and how I had to fix it. Not pretty.
Attachments
Trio Compartment Hole.jpg
(254.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mark.
PMCA Member.
white-out

No problem Mark. We must think alike because mine are 5/8" from bare floor.....oh well. I took this apart in my shop and needed to get it finished and out of the way. I'll fab some kind of low riding base insert or a step up seal behind the door and seal the sides at base. One step up, two steps back..lol
4th Gen Martin Fan

Doug,
I have more crescent SREH entrances in the houses I help manage. I know some people believe they are too difficult for martins establishing in a new colony but that is just not true.
If the location is good and HOSP/EUST control is maintained the martins will move in.
I am more familiar with Trio doors rather than Coates doors. I would assume they do not exchange.
I have cut enlarged holes to accommodate SREH overlays - aluminum crescent overlays for aluminum doors.
https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/produ ... ent-plate/
The replacement plates have the bottom straight edge of the crescent close to the bottom edge of the doors so it is closer to the porch level. That makes it harder for European Starlings to breach the crescent. The top edge of the replacement plate is taller and meant to cover the round hole.
I use aluminum 1/8" short pop rivets to secure the replacement plates onto the doors. I use a bead of silicone around the edge of the replacement plate before I squish the pop rivets to keep water from seeping in.
Mark.
PMCA Member.