Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

I am a week away from fledge date for most of my colony, and we are in the middle of a heat wave, and a drought. Temps in the low to mid nineties for this week. No relief until at least the weekend. I've never had to worry about jumpers before but with the babies close to fledge, and with the extended heat wave, at what point do I have to be on the lookout for jumpers?

Is it a combination of age and temps that entices them to jump?

Thanks;
Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
SSMartin

You’ll usually have an idea if any are on the ground because the adults will be extra upset and dive at you if you approach them knowingly or not. Sometimes the parents will continue to feed them on the ground. I have only had jumpers because of mites. If you are mite free and your housing is vented I think you’ll be fine.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Hanover Bill wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:09 pm
I am a week away from fledge date for most of my colony, and we are in the middle of a heat wave, and a drought. Temps in the low to mid nineties for this week. No relief until at least the weekend. I've never had to worry about jumpers before but with the babies close to fledge, and with the extended heat wave, at what point do I have to be on the lookout for jumpers?

Is it a combination of age and temps that entices them to jump?

Thanks;
Hanover Bill.
They usually jump due to mites or lack of food. We're having the same weather as you. I've been supplement feeding 2-3 times a day during this heat wave. It gives the parents a break from having to fly a distance to look for food. It also ensures the chicks are staying hydrated. They get moisture from the crickets or meal worms. I would not use eggs, as it can cause loose bowel in the chicks, which would dehydrate them more.

When it gets close to feldge date the parents slow down feeding to entice them leave the nest & take to the air. However if they are not ready they end up on the ground. Not all parents will feed chicks on the ground. In this heat they'd perish quickly. I'd suggest trying to supplement feed a few times a day. Watch to see if they take it back to the chicks. If you have chicks hanging out panting like crazy you could use ice packs. Put some water in the snack size Ziploc baggie, freeze it flat, wrap it well in a paper towel or thin washcloth or rag & put it in the back of the nest or along the side of the nest. Change it out daily until the heatwave is over.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member