Moving the Hatchlings

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bmoore1414

We have 4 hatchlings from June 28. The PMs moved 3 from far right to middle compartment, leaving1. Now they moved the one to far right and moved 3 to middle. It is not small endeavor to haul these out and to other compartments. They must exit the entrance and move each into the entrance holes.
Could it be the heat? Today, heat index hit 118 and the hatchlings have been moved from west to center and east. We also are removing HOSP nes 2x daily from opposite side.
I am new to forum and a new landlord.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

If the nestlings are old enough they may be doing this on their own. Once hatchling start poking their heads out the entrances for food, the next step is they can start exploring compartments to each side. This is nothing to be alarmed about. But, if they are pink little babies and you are sure the parents are moving them, this is unusual and nmaybe someone else will chime in on the situation.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
bmoore1414

The movement started when they were 1 week old. They were not moving hardly at all. The house is not set up,where they can move to compartments without exiting, maneuvering the ledge and re-entering another entrance. Seems unlikely since they started at 1 week old . IDK I’m new at this!
bmoore1414

I’m don’t see mites, but the heat today was horrible, above 100. There are HOSP . I remove a single nest 1-2 times per day, trap and kill as many as I can.
brent

I never heard of this. I will follow this thread to hear what others say. It has been hot here too but I have not witnessed what you've described.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

As for the house sparrows, I advise shooting and trapping then euthenize the sparrow. Nest pulling will only infuriate the sparrow and cause sparrow revenge on the martins and their babies.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.