At what age do the babies fly out of the gourds?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
cervey1

Hi - I've been watching the live nest cam in Erie PA. It says they are 22 days old and it looks like they are fully feathered. When do they try flying? Do they usually succeed or do some hop around on the ground first? Advice on what to do in that case...

I'm in Central Virginia and have 4 gourds, I counted 12 birds around them. Also I have seen little beaks poking out of the gourds. Since they are further south than the Erie birds will they be leaving sooner than the Erie birds? Last year, I believe they left July 10th. It surprised me and I really missed them. This year I'm keeping a closer eye on them because they could up and leave anytime. I had a girlfriend like that once. :)
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

It varies from as early as 26 days to 33 days at my colony. How old are your nestlings? How many do you have this year?

Not all nestlings in a nest are the same age or size. Hatching can take two days and I had a nest that hatched over three days this year. One nest here began fledgling yesterday at 27 days of age. Some will occasionally delay up to 33 days. It is up to them.

Good luck.

Ed
cervey1

I'm not sure Ed. Do people lower the gourds and look inside? I try not to disturb them, but I think I read that is okay to do. Is it? So I'm not sure how many I have. At first I had six birds now I have 12. An earlier post informed me the second year birds probably came back. This is my second year. I see little heads at the gourd entrances. Looking forward to seeing young birds out and about.
flyin-lowe

People do lower their housing for nest checks, but if your young are close to fledging age I would not lower them now, you could cause them to jump prematurely. Everyone has their own way of doing nest checks but I lower my housing about once every 5 days or so after they start nesting. That way you know when the eggs are due to hatch, when they are due to fly etc. It also gives you the chance to head off any issues, like broken eggs, dead babies that need removed, mites, etc. If they are already sticking their heads out I will leave them be for this year and next year start routine nest checks. I would still try to walk around the housing every day at this age to look for any wing entrapped birds, or babies on the ground etc.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
cervey1

Thank you! I will start doing that next year. I do walk by them several times a day, probably more than they like. I haven't seen any that looked wing trapped or on the ground. I hope they don't have mites. They had flown away by this time last year. I love watching them. I'll miss them.