Update / feedback welcome

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LisaJ

Landlords,
I guess I spoke too soon yesterday about having not lost any babies. Late yesterday afternoon, I lowered the house and was cleaning out all of the cavities. I found out I did lose one hatchling that had begun to get his fuzzy feathers. Then, I found 6 eggs in one cavity that never hatched.
These were in the “attic”. There are a couple cavities up there, no porch and I always thought it would be too hot inside the attic. I am in Texas, and it gets HOT here. Going to close up the attic entrances next year.
This morning, there were three males on the porches! What is happening? Maybe just passing through? Last time I have seen any PMs was weeks ago!
Leaving the house up for a while longer.
LisaJ
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Lisa,

Go ahead and clean things out but if you have pre-nest material add it back in and put the house back up. It is my opinion the visitors are looking to see if there was any nesting in these sites and may be scouting out a place to return to next year. That's just a guess so maybe some more experienced landlords will chime in on that.

This morning I had 5 ASY males and several females and SY birds and probably some fledglings checking out gourds. They were all looking inside of nearly each gourd. Not sure why they were but they were. They were either checking out their own gourd or they were checking to see if there were previous nests. Whatever they were doing I don't know but I do know they were partying at Whippy Colony this morning. No masks were required.

I usually leave all my gourds up through August just because.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
LisaJ

Thank you for the feedback! This morning, there are three males and one female.
I will go put some nesting back in there. Gives it that lived in look!
LisaJ