Bird Cam Activity this morning 7-17-20

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

While watching the bird cam around 8:20am this morning, we watched as the birds were removed from the gourd, the camera lens was cleaned and the nesting material was replaced. The gourd rack was then raised but the birds were not placed back into the nest. Did I miss something?
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
Forum Admin
Site Admin

All of the young had previously fledged on the 15th and 16th, so they were released when the nest was changed. They'll have a busy day of flight and feeding lessons before they return for the night!
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure! Thanks for the view of the nesting martins!!!
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!