Nest chages

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Peter Alberda
Martin Colony History: Started with Amish copy of Trendsetter 12 room house, added Trio Grandpa with expanded rooms, and North Star 8. Taking Trendsetter down this spring and adding gourd rack.

How long does it take for the parents to go back into their gourd after a nest change? They go look in but won’t go back in. It’s been an hour and a half since their last feeding. I have been waiting six years for another chance and don’t want to lose them now. The chicks are eighteen days old. The nest had no visible parasites and didn’t look or smell bad. Did I mess up by trying to fix something that wasn’t broken?
2020 - A pair of SY birds with three nice chicks. Lots of visitors all year long.
2015-2019 - A few lookers.
2014 - ASY male and SY female fledged four chicks.
2013 - Several visitors but none stayed to nest.
2012 - Lots of visitors all season long. We had a pair of sys but no chicks survived.
2011 - New location - A few visitors
2010 - First year – Poor house location.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

They will be fine. Parents will eventually go in & feed the chicks.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member