House Perimeter

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jlohman56

I have two house on the golf course that are populated with Martins, with high lines wires overhead for perches. I put a third house in side yard but has no place for Martins to perch to watch their house. I need to build a perch for them above house. What will work?
John
Quail Valley
MoC, Texas
Rpthomp5

Hi Jlohman,
What kind of house do you have? Can you modify it with 3/8" to 1/2" aluminum poles from Lowe's? I did that with my 1st PM house, a S&K barn, and they sat at both ends.
John Miller

You need a TV antenna! That's where martins perched high when I was a kid. You can add something to the top of your house (your own house or your martin house) but if the site is open martins may need anything. They will use tall tree tops, especially dead limbs high, in the absence of power lines.
Jlohman56

Rpthomp5 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:18 pm
Hi Jlohman,
What kind of house do you have? Can you modify it with 3/8" to 1/2" aluminum poles from Lowe's? I did that with my 1st PM house, a S&K barn, and they sat at both ends.
Thanks, I have a PM house that attacks but no place to perch. I will get an antenna type structure for them. Thankk
Jlohman56

John Miller wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 pm
You need a TV antenna! That's where martins perched high when I was a kid. You can add something to the top of your house (your own house or your martin house) but if the site is open martins may need anything. They will use tall tree tops, especially dead limbs high, in the absence of power lines.
I have a perch ordered and will mount on top of house. Thanks