Purple Martin Housing Location

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jasolhe

Here in Iowa, Derecho Cat 4 hurricane killed all my trees this month....bad for squirrels but maybe good for martins?

My martin house got smashed...it never housed a martin though ... i suspect as too many tall trees in the neighborhood made it unattractive...but they all snapped in half

I had a new Martin house purchase plan, nice one, 1k $$, but tell me will they come?... here is a picture of my intended placement

That tree will be cut down in days....i'm planning on putting the martin home/pole in that corner....will it work? or should i just plant a tree and scrap
the idea? ...the tree to the left is going away also

thanks
martin.JPG
martin.JPG (139.33 KiB) Viewed 785 times
jasolhe

fyi my neighbor behind me had 8 x 100 ft walnut trees snapped in half
neighbor to left had 2 x 100 ft walnut snapped in half

so the whole area, whole block really was scalped in half on tall mature trees, maybe the martins will see the house now in my intended area?
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi jasolhe,
The location of the planned martin house should work just fine. Bad that the trees went down, but great for the martins in the future. Do you have any martin colonies nearby ? If you do, you have a good chance of starting a new colony at your location. I'm suprised that I have not seen you before. I also live in Iowa and we sustained great damage in central Iowa. I'm from Nevada, IA. Please feel free to register on our Iowa website: www.iamartin.org
If you decide to register and become our latest member, please email immediately with your username and email address to dave@iamartin.org. In doing so, I can easily filter through all the spammers I review everyday. It is a safe, free and fun website.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
jasolhe

thx for reply i'll sign up on that site soon

thinking of buying this martin house:
-my old house lost in the storm

https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/produ ... ase-guard/

-with 3 inch pole w/ winch, 4 options for entrance type not sure which to get? we have an issue with house finch and house sparrow dominating the area
-any other recommendations for a home let me know! (1k is my budget)

thanks for any advice
-i even played the martin cd this spring during the migration week when they were supposed to show up (bought an outdoor bluetooth speaker nice one synced up to the disc on youtube on a 18 hour loop played it for weeks and had martin decoys too...didnt see any sterlings or martins, did see some blackbirds though perching up there...now post derecho storm maybe next year will work better
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

That looks like a great product to replace the old set up. I wish you the best.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.