Moving forward toward spring 2021

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanaho01

Well decided the route I will take with goal to having first attempt housing up for spring. Am going to offer both gourds and hosing to see if I and get some interest. So to that means am building a T6 and from it will hang a few Troyer vertical gourds and see what happens. Have finished the basic boxes for the housing. Thinking I will put individual doors on each compartment. Still trying to decide on pole. No luck finding surplus yet.

HOSP sparrow control has begun. Had a couple hanging around bluebird boxes that have been eliminated. Built a sparrow trap and ordered a couple of box traps too. Will be a good thing for my bluebirds if nothing else. Last year they fledged 24 new BB. Starlings will be main problem so am building a S&s style controller for them. Should keep me busy this winter for sure

Randy
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Hanah,
Sounds like you are being well prepared. It is good to see people like you, being a responsible landlord. It took me 6 years before I had my first nesting pair😂. Don't get discouraged if you don't get martins right away. I congratulate you on your hard work and I hope you get a good colony started in the spring.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.