Hoping to be a new Landlord

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
alfie
Martin Colony History: None as of Oct 2020, hoping to become a landlord in 2021

Hi ya'll thought I'd introduce myself. My name us Alfie and I'm hoping to be a new landlord next year (2021). I purchased some houses and gourds from the association along with the Dawnsong, decoys and bed and breakfast. I live in Texas outside of Austin. I haven't put them up yet since it's been raining and cold here. I plan on doing that within the next week or 2. The scouts don't arrive until Feb so getting them up in time shouldn't be a problem. If ya'll have any suggestions on attracting the Martins, been watching youtube and there are some conflicting info there, Tara has been a big help so I'm going to follow her suggestions. The closest tree is going to be 45' and our house will be 71' so I meet the recommended spec's.

Hope to read some good information here.

alfie
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi alfie,
I wanted to be the first to welcome you aboard. There are some great people on this site with lots of good information. Many landlords refer to this site for assistance and ideas. From your post, I have gathered that you have already taken time to look over the things that are important for landlords and for the martins. Location, as Tara has mentioned is so important in attracting a new colony and for active colonies. The best advise I have for you is to keep starlings and sparrows in check. Never allow either to take up housing. Disposing of these two competitors is the only way. Sparrow and starling nest removal simply doesn't go far enough. You have probably already seen that your first nesting pair of martins at your colony will be SY (second year) martins. Martins have strong site fidelity, meaning once they have a successful nesting season they will most likely return to your colony. A new landlord must be relaxed about the time it may take to get their first pair. It can take years before they have success; it took me 6 years. As long as you understand this and you are willing to wait it out, you will be fine. In attracting new martins to your housing here are a few tips. Location you already have established, dawnsong is great, decoys and breakfast tray are awesome. The other unlisted ideas are to smear a little mud around the exterior entrances, (just enough to discolor it, not to cake it on thick) of the compartments and gourds; this will make it attractive to new martins due to the fact it looks like it was lived for other martins to come. Being a colony type bird this is a big juicy present to keep them around. Some landlords pre-nest their compartments with soft white pine needles. Be sure they are the soft type and not prickly. Place a good handful inside the gourds and compartment and form a small bowl shape in the middle, be sure not to block the entrances with the soft white pine needles. There is also a section dediated to ways to atrract martins on the website, which I encourage new landlords to take the time to read. Knowledge is power in the world of martin landlording.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
flyin-lowe

Welcome and good luck. With quality housing and a little work you will have a thriving colony in no time in the south, if you have open flyways. It would be a good idea to post a picture of your property from Google earth. There are plenty of very smart and experienced landlords on this site who can help you pick the best spot in your yard. It might help to keep you from having to move things later or not giving yourself the best chance. The fact you are on here asking questions before you put your housing up shows you are on the right path. It's easier and cheaper in the long run to get a setup correct the first time.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
alfie

Thanks ya'll I really appreciate the info. I tried to attach pictures but my attempts failed. So below a link to my house. As you can see I'm surrounded by trees. I think the only good area is to the right of my house where the white pipes were. I had to have a new septic system installed and the white pipes are gone. The brown area closer to the street is where our garden goes. When I go out, usually to Bastrop, I don't see anybody else with Purple Martin houses, unless they take them down. If you're wondering those are Solar Panels on my house. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/166 ... KnBUbQBVPA
~Ray~Gingerich

Control sparrows ,starlings and do not allow tree swallows to nest. Make your presence known and visible to martins near your martin housing
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
alfie

Thanks for the reply. I purchased 2 of the Sparrow Traps to try to help eliminate the Sparrows and already caught a Wren. I do plan on walking around the site everyday and checking the nests every few days to help control the parasites. From what I read changing the nest out a week after the babies hatch and use Sevin Dust to help control the parasites. Just now I have to play the waiting game to see if the Martin's choose my site this next year.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Best of luck this coming season alfie.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
rctitus

Alfie,
I'm in Buda and becoming a landlord for the first time in 2021 as well. I had a PM house in San Antonio several years ago and I'm determined to be more successful this time. Just being online and in this forum is an indicator. I assembled and tested my new Lonestar Goliad Junior, 8 rooms.
Good Luck!
Ron
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

.... Alvie ... Welcome to the Forum, great to have you here with us... It sounds like you have everything going in the right direction for attracting Purple Martins next year.. One thing I did when the first pair arrived at my house, I would stay inside and not go out in the yard.. For fear of scaring them away.. In 2019 when they arrived in the Spring... I was not going to hide in the house, I took my lawn chair out, to within 20 feet of the gourd rack and sat on guard with my air rifle in case some Starlings or Sparrows came by... That year the Martins stayed and it was my first successful year at my home.. Good Luck,,, You have come to the right place..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
alfie

I just went to the Audubon App and search for Purple Martin and performed a sighting to see if any were reported in my area (outside of Austin, TX). The app reported there were sightings, I'm assuming last year, but in Corpus Christi and Dallas. These cites are 100's of miles from here. It's very discouraging :-( thinking that they aren't around here. But they probably are just people in my area don't report them. I do drive around looking for Marin Houses but don't see any.
~Ray~Gingerich

Alfie ,
I just read your post again , I see you want to place your martin house 45 ft from a tree and 71 ft from your house, that, all well and good if the tree is small, but if the tree is tall and dense I would much rather have the martin house 71 ft from that tree! I prefer at least 100ft myself!!
Good luck
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
alfie

Thanks Ray - It's probably about 30' tall but I trimmed the branches up and was able to cut down one of the trees so now it's 58' from the closest tree. I've already put the Martin house up, had to get my backhoe out to dig the hole. There's too much rock and clay here and digging the hole with a post hole digger wasn't an option, especially since they recommend 3' deep. The hole ended up being 39" deep and 18" wide. Used 10 bags of cement to fill the hole as they recommended (to the top) so it's not going anywhere and would really be a pain to move. I had the bags of cement left over from another job I did so I was glad to use it on something. Probably overkill but at least they aren't in my garage anymore. Plus one was starting to get hard. Had to use a hammer to soften it up again.