PM rehabilitation

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

PM rehabilitation

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Last season I had 3 fledgling PM's that ended up on the ground and subsequently drowning in my pool. I would have loved to scoop them up and take them to a rehabilitator, but in Central Louisiana, I could not find one. Anyone from Louisiana or nearby know where one is??? I hope to not need one this year, but would love to at least be able to offer this years PM's the opportunity to recover if needed. BTW, I've got my first adult pair in the house now and look forward to the return of more.

bk

why do you think they are jumping?

Postby bk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 pm

do you think it was heat or mite related? Or perhaps they were abandoned?
I had some of that my first year. none at all last year.I attribute that to improved housing and sevin. Keeping them in the nest is your best hope.

Bill

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:29 pm

We did have drought conditions in Louisiana last year. Mites were not the problem. I had 3 jumpers from different nests all toward the end of June when we were all wondering if we would ever see rain again.

bk

its heartbreaking ....

Postby bk » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:31 pm

I don't know your experience level, so I'd just recommend doing a search on drop-outs or jumpers etc. here. Itook the advice, and together with a healthy dose of luck, fkedged 64 with only one found dead in a nest.
Good luck! keep the faith.

Bill rowlett Tx

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:43 pm

I did a little bit moe checking on the Rehabilitation issue and found the following site. Choose the letter "L" for Louisiana which is way on the bottom of the page and then there is different names, addresses and phone numbers. I guess you would need to check each one of them out in order to see who is closest to where you live, and if they are still providing the service. But that is what I have done for us here in TX. I feel it is always good to be prepared for an emergency. When things go wrong you want to be able to act and help quick. Good luck with the research and have a great martin season :lol:
Astrid

P.S.
Here is the address:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactA.htm#ia

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks so much for the link-- I copied the info on 2 rehabbers that are about 1.5 hours drive from my house. Now at least I have hope!!!!!!!--THANKS again--Joan

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”