Quick Release Pole Guard For 2" Square Pole

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Hello Martin Friends,

I have a question on predator guards. The last few years we used "homemade ones" which were converted buckets. They worked real good except for the nest check part. It was a real hassle getting the bucket off the pole, lower the house, attach the bucket back to the pole..... Has anyone had experience with the Quick Release Pole Guard For 2" Square Pole yet? I would appreciate any input I can get :roll:
Thanks
Astrid

Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

Postby Craig Dyer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Astrid,

I bought and installed one about 2 weeks ago. It goes on & off with ease (one latch on top and a cotter pin on the bottom). It is stainless steel and appears to be well made. I have been using a step stool on the other pole because of the permanent guard.
Craig Dyer

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Craig,

Thank you for your response. Those step ladders (or any ladder)and I do not get along very well, that's why I am looking for an alternative.
Astrid

DAKdude

Postby DAKdude » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi,
I used 3 quick release predator guards last year and I loved them so much that I bought 4 more this year! They are great especially for larger gourd racks, like 24+ gourds. A lot safer too since I am not balancing on top of ladders that are sinking into soft earth. Better for the birds too since you don't have to move a ladder around so much you can do your nest checks and get the rack back into place so the birds can get back to their nests. I really like them. They seem to work well at deterring predators in my area. I can't vouch for places that have the huge black rat snakes but I think they would work for them too if placed high enough off the ground.
James
James Mejeur

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:00 am

God Morning James,

Thank you for your reply on the pole guard. I was never good with the balancing act on the ladder and even though my neighbors think it is entertaining I would like to put an end to it... :lol: I will order a couple this weekend and am looking forward t less complicated nest checks.
Thanks again and enjoy the warmer weather that is coming.
Astrid

mcollmer

Predator Gusrd

Postby mcollmer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:00 am

Where do you buy the quick release predator guard?
Martha

PMCA member

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:08 am

Martha,

I saw them online at the PMCA shop. They have them for round poles and for square poles in 2" and 3" diameter.
Astrid

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:23 pm

How are these quick release predator guards attached to the pole,can you put them at any height and they will stay put at that height?

dick

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Dick,

First of all congrats again on your arrival in "Blue #7" :lol: Also, I got to see the pictures of your systems today and I have to say it looks very impressive. The birds that are going to stay with you are going to love it there, and the colours are awesome.
As to the pole guard I am quoting what it says about the installation of the pole guard. As I understand you can put it up as high or as low as you want to, but there are some guidelines how far off the ground is best. I think it will say the specific distance for this pole guard in the paperwork that comes with the guard. Here is the quote: "The Quick Release Guard, with its pre-drilled vinyl-edged rope/cable hole, can be repeatedly fastened and released completely from the pole in seconds. Made of aluminum, this 8” diameter, 23-1/2” long guard features a unique piano hinge and latch system."
I hope this information helps you. Have a great martin weekend :wink:
Astrid

Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

Postby Craig Dyer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:17 pm

The quick release pole guard comes with brackets that attach to the pole at any height you wish. The guard then hangs from the brackets. The brackets are not visible once the guard is attached. The guard wobbles a little as a further predator deterrent.
Craig Dyer

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Then how does the hub go to the bottom with the brackets bolted to the pole ,something not adding up here.

dick

Craig Dyer

Postby Craig Dyer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Dick,

The guard is a cylinder. It is closed at the top, except for the pole opening. It is wide open at the bottom. The guard hangs from the brackets, from within, at the top. I hope that makes sense.

Hey, great looking set up you have! You obviously spent alot of time putting it together.
Craig Dyer

Frank Hargis-IL

Postby Frank Hargis-IL » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:07 am

Although the Quick Release guard comes off the pole isn't the bracket that holds it still fastened to the pole and the lowest the house can be lowered is still about the same place? Or do you remove the bracket each time you remove the guard?

Craig Dyer

Postby Craig Dyer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Frank,

The bracket has a wing nut on one end that allows you to quickly loosen the bracket and drop it as low as you wish (the winch probably). You can then raise the bracket and re-tighten the wing nut when it is at the height you wish. It is a very east and fast maneuver.
Craig Dyer

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Craig,

Thank you for all your input on my question about the pole guard; sounds like a great product. I went ahead and ordered some and can't wait to use them :lol:
Astrid

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”