Bird ID question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bob Flam

Bird ID question

Postby Bob Flam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Came home at lunch and saw a bird on the feeder that at 1st I thought it was a part albino starling!

Then I looked closer and I don't think it was. I think it was somekind of woodpecker. It was the size of a starling or redbelly, the sides were speckled like a starling, almost looked to have a redish tint patch on the back of its head...real faint. And it's lower back was white and black. A juvenile redhead maybe?

Anyone?

bob

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:15 pm

No it couldn't of been a redhead...it wasn't white underneath.

???

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm gunna have to camp out and watch the feeder tomorrow and hope he returns for a picture. I dunno what it was. It looked like a starling with an albino lower back except for the "very" light faint tint of reddish on the back of it's head.

bob

The Olsons

Bird ID question

Postby The Olsons » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi Bob,

It sounds like it propbably is a Woodpecker. I looked it up in my bird book and thought is was a "Northern Flicker", but then it also looked like a "Ladder-Backed Woodpecker" and like a "Red-Cockaded Woodpecker", and........ there are several Woodpeckers that fit your description. I think your best bet is (unless you have a bird book) to go online and look at the different Woodpecker pictures and see you if you can ID this bird. Good Luck.
Astrid

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:31 pm

It's none of them. I tried looking on-line, I'll have to dig out my bird books.

I had a terrible thought. Surely a starling and a redhead wouldn't crossbreed...would they!!!??

bob

The Olsons

Bird ID question

Postby The Olsons » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Bob,

Oh my Gosh, I sure hope not :oops: Please let us know swhat you come up with.
Astrid

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Well I didn't see one anywhere! I thought it was a part albino starling at 1st and was gunna shoot it and post the picture. But I wasn't sure so I looked through my binocs and thats when you could see the slight reddish tint on its head. It's lower back looked just like a juvenile red heads...

Thats almost scary! It's got to be an albino starling?

bob

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Look at it's bill. I would think a starling would have a yellow one, where as a woodypecker would have a black one. Sorry, I haven't kept up with the birds like I used to when younger!

Chuck

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:09 am

The bill was black or a dark grey. But I think starlings can have the grey bill until they go fully into breeding plumage. Which is next month here. I looked at numerous albino starling pictures on the web. None looked even close to this.

I'm going to stock up the feeders early today and see if it comes back. I've seen quite a few varietys in town passing through my lot by the creek...counted 64 different species a couple years ago, but I've never seen this one before. This has really got me thinking. It looked like a cross between a red headed woodpecker and starling. Would a starling force it's way into a red heads hole and mate with it? I suppose it's possible. I just find it hard to believe tho.

Goin back to bed! :roll:

bob

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:35 am

OK we'll see if I see it again today. I wanted to put one of the reasons I didn't think it was a starling. My feeder stand is an old tree branch stood upright, stuck in the ground with branchs coming of a short distance. I put like 3 different platforms on different branchs and places. Suet holders on a couple branchs sticking out.

The starlings are either on the ground grazing like cattle the way they do. Or on the suet holders. This one was just happily sitting on a platform eating seeds and nuts like the redbelly does sometimes.

The more I think about it...the more it bugs me hahaha :roll:

bob

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:34 am

Well for those as curious about this as me. He hasn't returned yet. I've been at the window and patio door window off and on for 2 1/2 hours.

At least I'm getting some work done on my trio I tore apart haha.

I've seen goldfinchs, Junko's, Cardinals, white breasted Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Chickadees', House finchs, Morning doves, tufted titmouse(one of my favorites), the downy, hairy, and Red bellied woodpeckers, and 3 starlings that all showed up at once and wanted my suet cakes...minus 1...(2 doves didn't even fly off when I pegged him).

Still hoping and waiting he returns.

bob

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:55 am

There he is!! It's a juvenile Redheaded woodpecker. The way he was sitting yesterday must have hid his white belly. Thank goodness!

I was chilled at the thought of starling forcing itself on a redhead!

Wish I would have found this site, he looks close to this.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/96/21051 ... ea.jpg?v=0

bob

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”