Purple Palace

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bob Flam

Purple Palace

Postby Bob Flam » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:43 am

Ok here's what I have so far. Still needs the rails, guards, roof perch and stuff and a few other tidings, cover and seal some holes so they won't get their feet caught in them. It's got 5/8 to 3/4 insulation on the walls and in the roof and will have underneath. You can't tell in this picture but the side roof is also purple.

Whataya think. 2 of these side by side...

bob

John Atteberry

Postby John Atteberry » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Very nice Bob!!!! Show us another pick when your finished!!! John!

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Bob,

The house looks very nice and solid. Is the door with the knob part of the compartment on the left of the picture, or does it belong to a compartment in the back of the picture? How big are the nest compartments?
I have not seen snow in a loooooooong time....thanks for the treat :lol:
Astrid

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:55 pm

The knobs swing the door out to get access to my nest trays I'm making. The one you see is for the opening on the other side. You can not open the excluder doors now...they are secured. I did want to make the rooms turn 90 degree's, but this way is less cutting of walls and all. Oh yeah it's not mounted to the floor yet, but is very sturdy this way, the inside wall is a double!

The nest trays will be 7 1/2 inchs wide...same as room width, and after insulation the room is right at 10 1/2 inchs deep.

New paint job...pin striping anyone hahaha Wooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

Do ya have any fun! Some of the snow is now a purty purple too!

bob

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:30 pm

This is a neat house and I really like the idea of having the opening in the back of the cavity. It should make the nest checks easier because you are right there were you need to be. Keep the pictures coming :wink:
Astrid

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:19 pm

Glad ya guys like it. I'll post another picture when I decide exactly how I want my porch rails/guards and attach them.

I put the insulation board under the floor this afternoon and it covers up the holes that were in the floor, I'll fill them level with some caulk to make em nice and smooth so their claws don't catch in the old holes.

I also attached it to the flooring...that was tough with the insulation board under the flooring and the insulation board already in the walls. But the bolts holding the house to the floor also hold the insulation board to the floor in a couple places :wink:

Yep get the rails/gaurds on and the clip for the access door so it won't come open...might go with Dales idea on gaurds/rails...an she'll be pretty much a done deal. Well make the nest trays...thats easy. Been a lot of fun except for attaching it to the floor. She's solid! Aint nothing going to pull the doors open!

Can't spend too much time on this thing...so much work to do! Still got gourds to prep, a new pole, was going to maybe add a level on my gourd rack, take down housing at the other site and prep all it(maybe convert other trio if time allows), put up another perching pole here, get a ground gaurd on my gourd rack pole.... And i'm sure something else :lol: :lol: But I have a good month + Finally warmed up a lil...was like a heat wave!

Ah what we do for our Purple Martins! Woooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bob

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:11 am

OK heres what one side looks like finished. The floor clips, for holding the doors shut, worked good cutting it and putting it on the dowl rod to secure the access door. I dunno how well you can see that in the pic. When you grab the knob your thumb just pushes the clip over...an walla!

The top perch rod and lower perch rod extend out beyound the house 8 inchs or so.

I had thought about making my nest trays to accept a heat packet under or behind them. I haven't decided on that yet. I like the light bulb idea better so I don't have to lower the housing a lot. I might make a couple compartments to go underneith the flooring that bulbs could go in...beings this is a single level that should work ok.

Two of these side by side on a multipurpose pole with 6 gourds under it would look alright :)

Lost 4 rooms on this one house, but I plan on adding gourds this year so It'll make up for it.

John Atteberry

Postby John Atteberry » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Bob, WOW!!!! That looks awesome and owl proof too! The martins will love it! John!

Bob Flam

Postby Bob Flam » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Thanks John, It was a rush job but I got her done. I'm curious to see what they think of it. It should be much more livable with insulated walls,
roof, flooring, 7 1/2 inch X 10 1/2 inch rooms. Plus I can use nest trays now also! So much nicer! Wooooooooo Hooooooooooooo

I put the two rods across horizontally in front so if I ever do get an inclination owls are checking it out or trying...I can atttach a plate to them, right in front of the entrance so the owl can't see or reach straight in to the hole. And the martins will have room to go out either side it or to the left or right. Steve Kronke's idea :)

bob

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”