Two big babies and one small one

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Nest check yesterday revealed something I've not seen before. I have on pink baby and two that are much larger. What is your opinion of this?

I didn't have my Sevin with me so i'm about to go out to change and treat the nest.
Attachments
Babies7-7-20.jpg
Babies7-7-20.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 718 times
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Keep a close watch on the smallest one. They often get pushed aside by the bigger chicks & end up dehydrated & starve. If his abdomen looks wrinkled it's a sign he's he's not getting fed & is dehydrated. You could move him to a nest with chicks (4 or less in the nest) of the same size if you have one.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

ToyinPA wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Keep a close watch on the smallest one. They often get pushed aside by the bigger chicks & end up dehydrated & starve. If his abdomen looks wrinkled it's a sign he's he's not getting fed & is dehydrated. You could move him to a nest with chicks (4 or less in the nest) of the same size if you have one.

Toy in PA

I'll have to keep an eye on him. He is in a SY nest and this nest in one of 5 remaining. I have two gourds with nests and I have three nests in my Trio. My Trio nests babies are out on the porch now walking around and watching all the other Martins fly around. My other gourd nest is also an SY nest but it has babies bigger than these in this gourd. I've already had 11 gourds fledge so these SY pairs got a late start.

I'll check on him day to day to see how he does. I guess I could supplement his feeding with crickets or meal worms to catch him up. What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you, Toy.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

[/quote]

I'll have to keep an eye on him. He is in a SY nest and this nest in one of 5 remaining. I have two gourds with nests and I have three nests in my Trio. My Trio nests babies are out on the porch now walking around and watching all the other Martins fly around. My other gourd nest is also an SY nest but it has babies bigger than these in this gourd. I've already had 11 gourds fledge so these SY pairs got a late start.

I'll check on him day to day to see how he does. I guess I could supplement his feeding with crickets or meal worms to catch him up. What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you, Toy.

Coolwhips
[/quote]

I'm guessing he's a lot smaller because he hatched a day or two later. Just one day can make a huge difference in size. You could try hand feeding him a few crickets or meal worms, a few times a day. Don't over stuff him tho, as his parents still need to fed him. Feed him in between his parents feeding. Example: Parents usually feed early to late morning. Then they take a break & fly off for awhile. You could try feeding him around noon & again late afternoon. Parents usually feed heavy before dark.

Since we're in a heat wave/drought here I've been supplement feeding 2-3 times a day to help give the parents a break & help keep chicks hydrated. I just flipped around 60 crickets at 6:30PM. There are 5 chicks. The parents fed them all to the chicks. When they were done the ASY Male went in the nest. I could hear him talking to the chicks. Then about 3 minutes later he came out with a dragonfly. He must have taken it in earlier & they didn't eat it. So he carried it off & dropped it. About an hour later I saw them feeding again. They'll stuff them full before dark.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member