Rescued lone 16-day old jumper, rest of colony left (seeking advice)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Necole

We've been feeding live crickets to a repeat jumper for the past 3 days. We found a dead similar-age nestling in a cavity surrounded by house sparrow cavities. The rest of the colony left two days ago. We are at a loss for what to do. We could drive it to a roost when it's time but it wouldn't have training in flying and hunting unless we can find a colony with similar-age fledglings. What is best to do for this bird? Thank you, Necole
GFB
Martin Colony History: I Started my first colony with my father in the late 1960's. Started building custom vinyl Martin houses last year 2018 and was successful with 10 birds fledged and it looks like several dozen birds are hanging around. Time to expand.
2018: 1 T-14 and 6 gourds. Fledged 10
2019: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 70
2020: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 111

Necole,
If you are certain you don't have the parents around maybe you can locate another colony and see if the still have any young that age and are willing to take it. The second option is to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your region. If your not sure ask your local veterinarian or bird specialty shop. Next season I would recommend eliminating any HOSP that even land on your house or your colony is doomed. I realize its getting late in the season and most have fledged but I still have hatchlings that age and when I had a jumpers that I marked with a dab of soap paint that's used for writing on car glass on one leg and placed them in a compartment with birds around the same age and now they are fledged and sitting on top of trees with all their siblings.
Necole

Thank you so much for your reply. We're going to drive by some places with colonies and contact some folks to see if we can find any of similar age then contact bird store, vets, and rehab in STL. Thanks again, N
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Good advice from GHB. It is extremely difficult to hand feed babies on a regualr and frequent schedule and then hope that they will learn on their own after release. The sad fact is that these babies need a new adoptive parent pair in a nearby colony. Just be sure that the original parents are indeed gone for good before transfering them to another home.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
flyin-lowe

I might be missing some info. If you have nests with only 16 day old or so nestlings in it the adults shouldn’t have just left. What kind of predator guards do you have and how many pair did you have this year? Based solely on your initial post it I think something else could be going on,
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Necole

Thank you for your reply. It's quite a moonshot, but we've driven around the area and have contacted anyone we know who has a colony. No luck yet. Most likely we will have to call a wild bird rehab in STL, which will still be not a good outcome for this unfortunate bird. Learning as we go. Thank you again for your guidance.
Necole

Flyin-Lowe, the nestling jumped or was pushed out twice. Since there are 3 outdoor cats around, we decided not to take a chance and put it back again, esp. with the sparrows. I haven't seen martins return to that side of the house and none have been back to the house for the past two days. This bird was in our our newbie mistake BH 16, although we also have a T-14 and some gourds. We have had some plucked feathers in the yard, which I assumed was the cats, but may be raptor predation (?) We also had a piece of wing left on a gourd (def not cats). We had 14 pair.
flyin-lowe

If you are finding feathers and wings on the ground I would bet you have a raccoon that has either scared off or killed the martins at your colony at night. Do you have any pictures of your predator guards (if you have any)?
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Larry Kronemeyer

Necole

We have a few birds left here, one very late nest at 6 days old. It's been a long, long season.

The Wild Bird Rehab in St Louis have very competent people on staff, but they deal mainly with backyard sonbirds. Martins are extremely difficult to rehab. I've taken a few there myself over the years. Injured adults don't usually survive. The chick has a small chance with them but it will be tough going. We took in one several years ago, slightly older than yours, and it did okay in their care. They have a small flight cage and when they observed the chick catching food on its own they took it to a public martin site near St. Charles , MO. and we watched as they did a "from the gourd" release in the early morning. There were other martins in the sky at that time. The little guy poked its head out, hesitated a couple of minutes then took off to catch up with those in the sky. We watched as long as we could see it. I have no way of knowing if the chick made it, but it was the only option we had that late in the season. WBR might be your only option if you can't find a nest match somewhere. I doubt you can keep up the care and feeding of the chick for 12 more days.

Stuff like this happens. He's a lucky fellow that you care enough to try and help him.
Best of luc I

Larry and Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
Necole

Flyin-Lowe: I'm having a little difficulty getting my pics to upload here, but we have Troyer gourds with a porch and small, rectangular opening and no owl guards (yet). We have added similar entrances and dowel rods to a T-14 (Chuck's plans). The newbie house just has crescent openings but no predator guards. It would not surprise me if raccoons got some of them since we have a pair of trash pandas this year for the first time. My husband also saw a Mississippi Kite in our yard recently. We need to do more to guard against predators next year, besides getting rid of the newbie house.

Larry and Judy, wow about your six-day old nestlings. I hope they do well. Your description of WBR does give me some hope. If we don't find some closer in age within the next day or so, we will call them. Is the area in St. Charles a pre-migratory roost?

Thank you both so much for your information and guidance.

Necole
Larry Kronemeyer

Yes Necole it is a roost site, although some years not as big as others. It is near the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Some early morning --around 5:15 a.m. or so -- check out the Doppler radar for that area. A good radar will show the roost ring. Small roosts can be found up and down along the Mississippi river, but they disperse quickly. Fun to look for them if you're an early riser.

Larry and Judy
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
Necole

Larry and Judy, It's good to know there's a roost near STL where WBR can release it where it could spend some time to get ready. I just hope they don't leave for a while. I've seen social media clips of roosts on radar, but I will have to look in the morning for some in MO. I plan to call WBR tomorrow and will post an update. Fingers crossed.
Necole

Just an update: We are taking the nestling to Wild Bird Rehab in St. Louis Friday morning for them to place it in their aviary and allow it to learn to hunt then hopefully release in time to a roost.