Good Video of How to Feed Purple Martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LarryMelcher/KY

Good Video of How to Feed Purple Martins

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 am

I have been accused of not tooting my horn....

Well here it goes..... TTTTOOOOOOOTTTTTT !!!

Hee, hee.

I think you will like this video of my daughter feeding martins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TriEisgBkc

EDIT 4/12/09
Here is another great video by Tim, or "bruntdog". This one is really worth checking out. Tim does a great job explaining how to prepare eggs as a subsitute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdbY1Rn_hwg
Thanks Tim. Martins need more landlords like you... training humans.
Last edited by LarryMelcher/KY on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

Allan Day

Postby Allan Day » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:35 am

That's worth tooting over! 8)

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks Allan !! I saw your comment on the other thread. Glad you liked it :grin:
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:02 am

So who makes the best plastic spoons for this kind of work. Some kind of explode in your hands when you put pressure on them. Dairy Queen, Sonic, etc...........................
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

Help Training Martins

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 am

Larry,

This was a great video.

How did you get your martins to start eating the crickets? I have tried many times it's like the want take a second look at the food flying in the air. Is it maybe they aren't hungry enough?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:01 am

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Larry, I'm so glad you posted your feeding video over here!

You made a really great video!

The Olsons

Postby The Olsons » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am

Larry,

I am glad you TOOOOOOOOOTED :lol: :lol: :lol: posted your feeding video over here.....it will help many people that want to fling crickets, ,meal worms or eggs. The spoon flinging method works great and your daughter is doing such a fantastic job. She is a doll as well...... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

DakotaLady

Postby DakotaLady » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am

Larry,

I am so glad you posted your video. I'm hoping my kids will enjoy your video and perhaps try feeding our martins.

Very nice job putting your video together. By the way...your daughter is adorable. :grin:

~Tj~

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 am

You Purple Martin people are a great bunch.... THANKS!!

Spiderman,
I eat a LOT of Dairy Queen Blizzards !!
Any long handled plastic spoon works well for me.

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:58 am

Alan in Godwin NC,
3 or 4 years ago, I decided that I would try this.
The weather had turned cold and I went to the local bait store and told the guy I was not going fishing, but I needed crickets to feed Purple Martins. .... That gets into another interesting story!

The first day that I tried, I would aim just past the martins sitting on the perches. They would turn their heads, and I KNEW they were seeing the cricket fly by. It was like they were thinking, "Man, I'm hungry... Now, that don't look right. I know that was an insect, I LOVE insects, but they don't come shooting up from the ground."

After flinging about 50 crickets, I gave up.

The next day, it was still cold and I decided to shoot the rest of the crickets I had. After about 10 they took to it, and it was like "Monkey See, Monkey Do."

Feeding Martins

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, will give it a shot.

tor
Martin Colony History: Capacity: 72 Troyers.

Postby tor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Larry,

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.
How long does it usually take for them to catch on?

Edit,,,,,saw your reply above,,a day and a half..... :grin: that'll vork..
2015: First Scout: 3/23 - 4 pair
2016: Capacity: 42 - First Scout: 3/10 - 32 pair
2017: Capacity: 42 - First Scout: 2/25 - 39 pair
2018: Capacity: 70 - First Scout: 2/18 - 60 pair - 270 fledged
2019: Capacity: 72 - First Scout: 2/22 - 70 pair - 315 fledged
2020: We shall see what it brings.

Purple Martins Of South Carolina
Torlo.com - Live Life Like There is No Tomorrow

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 am

Tor,
Good Luck. They pretty much have to be hungry to want to catch food being shot up to them. Once you get them trained, try to take it to the next step and get a Bed & Breakfast feeder tray of some sort.

Sometimes, weather is so bad for natural occuring insect flight for several days that Martins can lose a lot of weight, and get to the point of starvation. If you have them trained to a feeder tray, it is less work for you and the martins use less precious energy eating.

This all started for me the hard way. I had to see martins dying at my home colony one year. Hopefully, with this video, more landlords will try supplemental feeding.

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:33 am

Oh.... Ckeck out the latest quarterly newsletter magazine from the PMCA. If your not a member yet, you ought to join to get a "book-full" of martin information 4 times a year.

Anyway, Linda Reynolds put together a very good article about this subject, "Supplemental Feeding". She was the one that taught me how to train my Bluebirds to come to mealworms, and I probably learned how to feed the martins from her too.

Look in the latest winter Update magazine from the PMCA. Great Article.... just one of many.

Thanks PMCA. The one stop for great martin info.

DAKdude

Postby DAKdude » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey Larry,

Great Video to show folks how its done. Fortunately we haven't had to do it here in FL but you never know when we might have the need to. A couple of years ago I did some feeding when we had cold temps for about three days. We didn't lose any martins so it was more for the fun of it for us and I am sure that they appreciated it. Last year we had a rainy spell that lasted for 4 or 5 days and we lost some chicks and most of the chicks were somewhat stunted but when it stopped raining they caught up in just a few days.

Your colony looks beautiful. We don't get tree swallows nesting this far south so it is nice to see them.

Thanks for sharing with the community.
James
James Mejeur

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Hello James!
Glad you liked it. You are one serious landlord and putting the martin housing in great places for folks to see at DAK. I am not directing this to you, but you hit on a great point for many readers of the forum.

You are in Florida. Florida rarely sees weather too cold for natural occuring insect flight, but long periods of rainy, windy weather ANYWHERE makes it tough for martins to find food. You're right, it is fun to fling crickets to your martin colony, but it is REALLY good when you already have them trained and they need it after several days of windy rainy weather.

Thanks for all you're doing down in the great state of Flordia.

Christopher Norris

Martins

Postby Christopher Norris » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Larry

No indiana martin reports, where are they, going on a week late from last years reports

chris

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Hang in there Chris. I would have bet money that I would have seen martins today. It was in the 70's and a beautiful, sunny day. I want them back too, but have seen martins die from coming back too early. We know about supplemental feeding, but I worry that there may be days that work, family and just life in general keeps me from feeding my martins when they need it most.

They are so smart. Flying right now from South America with your backyard on their minds. Take the time to make sure you do everything you can to provide them a safe nesting area again, when they finally make it back "home".

Julio

Postby Julio » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey Larry, love the video great narration by the way. I'm quite jealous of your location, it is for the lack of a better word perfect for birds. :grin:
"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals." - Immanual Kant.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JulioPrado954/posts

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Julio,
You are jealous ?? I love the photo of your martin housing right near the water. That is what would make my site perfect! Water nearby, so I could watch the martins drink and bathe "on the wing" !! Thanks !!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”