Return to Forum Index
Profile Memberlist Search Scout Report Register

How to build a sparrow trap

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruntdog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: How to build a sparrow trap Reply with quote

Good evening Fellow Martineers!!

Had a bit of bad luck this past fall when my new paper lady decided to drive almost up on my porch so that she could drop off the paper. It just so happened that my sparrow trap happened to jump out in front of her pickup during her sojourn across my yard and it paid a heavy price.

I drug the ol' smashed trap out of the rubbish bin this past weekend and decided to rebuild it and film the process so that I could show other people how to make their own sparrow traps. I tried to show the entire process so that anyone could understand how to make one. Not everyone is Bob Vila!! (especially me) Anyway, The following links will take you to the videos and I hope they help somebody out.

Later, Tim

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBPqxLlCgrI
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wC33W-cKaM
part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFCvRwzT6I

Emil Pampell-Tx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like excellent instructions, and easy to build

Have you had good luck with it? Have you tried putting water and food in the holding area to keep them alive, and maybe attract more sparrows?

Thanks for the instructions

Eddie McKnight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed his instructions exactly and now lease several of them to the local box stores to catch the vermin..... They are very happy.....
Don Ricketson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this kind of trap is you have to keep it baited. It catches lots of birds, but it also attracts tons of birds which you don't want around a Martin Colony. They might work good for a rancher that just wants to trap them to keep them from eating his cattle feed etc. but not around Martins.
Mr. K.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first yr. as a Martin landlord so I'm the novice here. Thanks to Tim for the "how to" video. Built mine Sat. and set it up this morning at 8 am. Hoping for good results. Again, thank you for the information. Jesse
Mr. C.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good instructions will start haply soon on mine this is my first year as a martin landlord was beginning to wonder if it was worth it this will be great help thanks
Susquatch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Easy DIY Sparrow trap Reply with quote

When I was a boy 60 years ago, we used to catch sparrows by leaning a screen or wire square frame on a stick and holding one end up with a stick. A string was tied to the stick and some bread or other bait placed under the square. You just hide and wait. When the sparrows or starlings go under to grab the bait, you pull the string. Very simple and very effective. The larger the square the better it works. Today, I would staple chicken wire to a simple wood frame and take any captured sparrows and starlings for a long ride.

All the above said, as a retired old man, I now find that I have the time to simply wave a white flag at the male sparrows to scare them away. They soon get tired of competing with me. No need to worry about females as it is the males that establish a territory and attract the females to it.

Cheers

mikeinkaty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was good! But, where do you set the trap? On the ground? I have a electric transformer about 30' from one Martin box that's about 3' high. Would that work? Does it need to be higher?

How about a video showing it in action?

Mike
Susquatch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeinkaty wrote:
But, where do you set the trap? On the ground?

Mike

Yup, just put it out in the open on the ground. It would probably work best on bare dirt so they can see the bait.

You can experiment with how tall a stick to use and where to tie the string on the stick before you bait the trap. Then setup a lawn chair where you can see the trap but not scare the birds, and settle down with a good book to read.

Sorry, no video Mike

mikeinkaty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susquatch wrote:
mikeinkaty wrote:
But, where do you set the trap? On the ground?

Mike

Yup, just put it out in the open on the ground. It would probably work best on bare dirt so they can see the bait.

You can experiment with how tall a stick to use and where to tie the string on the stick before you bait the trap. Then setup a lawn chair where you can see the trap but not scare the birds, and settle down with a good book to read.

Sorry, no video Mike

Stick, string? I'm talking about the box trap at the top of this thread.
Mark/OH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Yep just put it on the ground in the open. That's were they like to eat.there are several videos on YouTube. Here's one. http://youtu.be/R1vaX0KWY34

2014 13 Pair 70 eggs 51 young 50 fledge
2013 10 Pair 51 eggs 39 young 39 fledge
2012 5 Pair
2011 1 Pair
Susquatch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeinkaty wrote:
Stick, string? I'm talking about the box trap at the top of this thread.

LOL!!!!

I can see where the box trap would be more attractive....

BUT, I would be willing to wager a BIG whack of change that my 4x4 flat slab of chicken wire and a stick will catch way more sparrows and starlings in a day than the box trap will.

Going into that little hole takes guts that most birds don't have. Hopping under a big 4ft by 4 ft sheet of chicken wire propped up at one end imposes no threat at all.

Of course, the biggest drawback of my suggestion is that it requires active monitoring - no big deal for a retiree who enjoys the outdoors and the satisfaction of pulling a string on those pesky pests.

The second biggest drawback of my approach is that a total dolt can make one for much less cost with supplies that are readily available at a local hardware store. Oh, sorry, I guess that's really an advantage! LOL!!!

Cheers!

avesrun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Mr. Ricketson above regarding the baiting. I've fed birds for years on my acreage. As a landlord wannabe, It was a tough decision, but I've decided not to fill my bird feeders this season and thus far it was a great move. I have noticed a huge drop in hosp and starling numbers. I miss my Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied, Red-headed woodpeckers, white-throated, Harris', White-crowned, and other GOOD sparrows, cardinals, tufted titmice, mourning doves, Goldfinches, and will also miss my soon to arrive Indigo Buntings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks etc. you get the point I hope. BUT I DON'T MISS THE LARGE NUMBERS OF HOSP THAT WERE ATTRACTED TO THE FEEDERS. I have little to none places for hosp to nest so they mostly came around due to the feeders. Maybe someday with an established good number of martins I will fill bird feeders again but I'm willing to give it a break for awhile.
That being said, my Blaine trap wasn't doing well on the few hosp I've still been seeing; so I added a small bit of seed and have caught two male hosp in the last week, but overall I'm not experiencing near the hosp pressure that I was last year at this time due to no bird feeders.
So my main point of post is to agree that these type of sparrow traps do require bait if you're going to have any success at all but it doesn't take a lot; and as spring migration kicks in be prepared to monitor and have to release juncos, and other desirable species of birds that will no doubt find their way into the trap. THEY WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T RELEASE THEM IN SHORT TIME WHICH IS NOT COOL!
I do advocate use of "S&S controller type traps as well. I built one sparrow and one starling controller using the plans on Chucks Purple Martin page. I've yet to catch anything in them yet; they've been out now for only a couple weeks; so I'm hopeful as weather warms up and S&S get more active that I start to catch them in good numbers. It's all good and everyone keep eliminating exotic S&S whichever method works for you and leaves native species unaffected.
Tim

Several day visits in May
2014: Added Trio Mini and started a public site on quarry lake. Many visiting martins at both sites but no nesters.
Susquatch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avesrun wrote:
as spring migration kicks in be prepared to monitor and have to release juncos, and other desirable species of birds that will no doubt find their way into the trap. THEY WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T RELEASE THEM IN SHORT TIME WHICH IS NOT COOL!
Tim

Yet another advantage of my boyhood 4x4 chicken wire panel trap. No desireables get caught cuz you don't pull the stick on them. You just enjoy watching them eat! Often as not they will fly away when the HOSPs and Starlings arrive so you don't even have choose between evils.

The old KISS principle in action.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1