Return to Forum Index
Profile Memberlist Search Scout Report Register

Could this really be the beginning of spring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Martin - PA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Could this really be the beginning of spring? Reply with quote

As an avid weather watcher, I have tried to provide some weather insight to those on the forum. Boy has this year been something.

My mother once told me that if you can't say something nice well perhaps it's best to remain silent. So I have been quiet as of late.

This winter seems to have no end to it. The weather map has been turned upside down and inside out this winter. Snow and ice in the Carolinas. With warmer weather to the north? What is this? What has been going on?

Plain and simple cold air has been pushing down in waves along the eastern side of the rockies. It then forms a a front along the southern states and low pressure moves along it. This counter clockwise flow around the low then draws additional cold air all the way down from the polar region. It gets trapped close to the ground. Some of these pushes of cold air have pushed clear across the Gulf of Mexico. However it does moderate some by the time it gets there.

It's no wonder migration is somewhat behind this year. When cold air comes across the gulf it sends a message to our feathered friends down in South America to stay put longer. But then the winds shift and it is tempting to take immediate advantage of them. That sets the trap.

Yes, it looks like finally the warm will overcome the cold as it does every year at around this time. But wow what a miserable long winter it has been. Rejoice a little however as south winds are finally starting to win the battle and spring will really come this time to the majority of the country. Sure there will be more cold rainy weather or even a burst of snow in some areas. But the cold will be much less cold and the warm will be warmer than you have felt so far.

For those in the upper mid-west. Just a little more patience will be needed. The east will really get a spring boost however.

For all those keeping their Martins alive in this unusual cold....I congratulate you on a job well done. Your job may finally be over however. Spring is on it's way. FINALLY!

Doug

Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
MamaBruff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping you are right as usual. Very Happy We love good news!

PMCA Member, Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast. Trendsetter 12 and 4 THG's, all SREH.

2014: Where are they?
2013: 1 pair ASYM/SYF, fledged one. Several bachelors here all season.
chickadee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 birds have not been able to feed on their own since they got here. I thought warm weather was in sight today.... but it is cloudy some sprinkles a little wind. another day of me feeding them. I feel bad for them when they get back just to Indore crappie weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1