Return to Forum Index
Profile Memberlist Search Scout Report Register

Supplimental feeding that I have success with

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Buskas

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Supplimental feeding that I have success with Reply with quote

I wish I had seen the Texas post earlier, I have had many experiences with feeding nestlings during the nesting season. Adult Martins will feed their young nestlings the "Egg Mcmeal" that is on my web site, please check it out. If the cold weather persists, the 7 to 12 day old nestlings suffer the most as they are too big for the parents to brood and they require a lot of food to keep them alive. The younger newly hatched usually survive as well as the older feathered nestlings as they can keep warm. Supplemental feeding really helps keep the older feathered nestlings going. As for adding water, I found 1/4 cup of water added to 6 microwave scrambled eggs is fine. Not too much water and not to little. Please check out my site @ http://www.wtc.ab.ca/northernskys/feeding.htm
Winger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the info/post! Your web site is wonderful! I am another "Texan" and am scheduled for a nest check tomorrow. After all the disastrous “Martin” news in TX I am concerned.

As everyone has said: "No rain...Horrible, horrible winds...and extremely cool temperatures for this time of year in our part of the country!"

We live on a large lake (Sam Rayburn ..Normally 114+ thousand acres of surface/currently 8' low). The lake could be a mixed blessing. We always have wind when none is to be found in our area. So, with horrible wind everywhere, ours has been with great force. However, we have water, which means we have insects.

We have 2 nests with 5 eggs each that are scheduled to hatch tomorrow. I hope they will be delayed by a few days. The wind is not as harsh & the temperature is rising.

If I see we have a problem with feeding I can assure you I will use your "Egg McMeal" recipe! Hey, if Martha Stewart really gets interested in Martins (thanks to Larry Melcher) she would love this recipe!

I thank you for the information & wish you a beautiful "Martin Season"!

Best regards, Tammy

Bob Buskas

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     Return to Forum Index -> Purple Martin Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1